Lightening and Antennaes

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Scotto
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Lightening and Antennaes

Post by Scotto »

I've asked this question in other forums, and I've never really gotten an answer that I can say was satisfactory.

Here it is (actually, there's three questions):

Is it bad to drive around with a big steel rod sticking up off the back of the truck during a thunder/lightening storm? What are the odds of being hit, and if I did get hit, what do you 'spose might happen?

Jennifer swears we were hit on the way to Guelph last week (the shot gun sound of the thunder clap was terrific - ear-splitting, left a ringing tone, Jennifer swears she was deaf for a minute or so after.) I figured since the truck was fine it was just near-by. Is it possible to be hit by lightening as you drive along, and with the exception of the big noise, just keep driving along happily?

I guess that's four questions.

Scott
X-Treme
Make/Model: Xterra - Offroad
Year: 2005

Re: Lightening and Antennaes

Post by X-Treme »

As far as I know, since the rubber tires of vehicles act as an insulator, the likelihood of a vehicle being struck by lightening is extremely remote, with a long metal antenna or not.

If your vehicle has grounding straps or chains attached to it, all bets are off. Grounding straps or chains are those straps or chains that you see hanging off the back of some vehicles, dragging on the ground. They're meant to discharge static electricity so you don't feel a shock whenever you step out of your vehicle and touch the metal skin.

Watch it! I'm keeping my eye on you.
NORDIC CHICK
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Xterra Xxe
Year: 2002
Tim's: Coffee - 2 milk

Post by NORDIC CHICK »

I'm no expert at this but when I lived in NL I worked at a fish processing plant. One night there was a terrible thunder storm and one of the forklifts were struck by lightning (while being driven) from what we saw. He got quite a scare but did not actually hurt him. I'm sure he felt a little jolt or something though. It has something to do with the tires or some crap. It keeps you grounded like birds are grounded on the telephone wires? NOt sure how that all works but same idea. Because it just hit your antenna you very well could keep driving without feeling it at all.
If I sound like a dumbass just let me know. I'll shut up!! :)
NORDIC CHICK
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by NORDIC CHICK »

After Ginos explanation I know I sound like a dumbass!! You're so smart Gino!! :)
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

No no no....not a dumbass. Just "Differently Abled" :teeth:
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
NORDIC CHICK
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by NORDIC CHICK »

Awwww that's sweet!! :crazy: :rasp: :lol:
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

NORDIC CHICK wrote:Awwww that's sweet!! :crazy: :rasp: :lol:
It's alright, you come by it honestly, Newf! :rasp: :rotfl:
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
X-Treme

Post by X-Treme »

In addition to what I posted above, most refuelling station fires are caused by the static electricity that is built up on the outside of vehicles. What happens is that people will go back into their vehicle while they are refuelling and when they step back out of their vehicle, the static spark that is discharged when they touch the skin of their vehicle will ignite the fuel vapours in the air. This is one of the reasons for having grounding straps, to continually discharge that static build-up.

Static build-up is the reason why self-server fuel pumps don't have the trigger holder that full-server pumps do. It's also the reason why you are suppose to turn off your vehicle while refuelling, so the vehicle isn't continuously generating the static charge.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DcFO7lQII8I&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DcFO7lQII8I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Also, don't refuel gas cans that are sitting in the bed of your truck, or the trunk or your car for that matter. Always put them on the ground so any static build-up on them can be discharged.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1tYO4jvnJHw&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1tYO4jvnJHw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

And last but not least, don't use your cell phone while pumping gas.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gct1BmKNvU0&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gct1BmKNvU0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

In this specific case, I would have to refer to the Masterminds @ Top Gear for the answer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve6XGKZxYxA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Embedding of this vid was disabled by Youtube, so that's why it's not right in the forum.

Anyways, the answer is that for the most part, you should be just fine. The bolt of lightning that was soo intent on hitting you, will just as quickly be dispersed through the shell of the car, and go straight into the ground.

Yet another reason to love Top Gear! :worthy:
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
coconut
I'm learning to use 4-hi
Make/Model: Fronty
Year: 00/04
Tim's: L regular + Bagel

Post by coconut »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUUOdO6eEZA

Video of a van getting hit by lightning on the 401.

I would think an underwear change would by required for the driver. :P
Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.
Spider 007
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Jeep YJ
Year: 1991
Tim's: Soup & a Sandwich!

Post by Spider 007 »

Even if you're using those grounding straps/chains you have no risk of being hurt by lightning if it hits your car. The reason for this is that the electricity needs to travel through you to hurt you, and while your sitting in your car this just can't happen. It will travel through the body/frame of the car down to the ground using the route with the less resistance, witch is obviously not through you. Worst thing that could happen is that the electricity traveling in the car's body AROUND you will give you the same feeling that the famous "hair raiser ball" you experienced in science class gave you.
To lift, or not to lift? What a stupid question...
X-Treme

Post by X-Treme »

Just goes to show what I know. :teeth:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RvG3ieOh8cI&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RvG3ieOh8cI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Awesome. I will now rest easy during lightening storms.

But then Gino posted up that last vid - while I was typing my response - and I notice a "maybe not."

Mmmm. Well, I guess they wouldn't sell big metal antennaes for CBs if they were bad. And you'd think that trucks would get hit all the time if it were to be a concern...

Scott
thegoodstink
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Xterra 4x4 SE
Year: 2004
Tim's: Double Double

Post by thegoodstink »

Grounding straps are ment for dissapation of static charges, not potentially half a billion volts lightning :o . I watched a truck get hit when I was a kid. Blew all four tires right off. You are generally safe inside your vehicle though. As said before the charge would travel through the body of the vehicle, and the water(rain).
04 Xterra 4x4 with added junk
12 Lancer GT
13 Kawasaki KLX250s
95 323 neo RallyX car
Bamboozled
justsoldone
justsoldone
Make/Model: WRX...
Year: 2003
Tim's: Needs Baileys.

Post by Bamboozled »

A friend of mine had his 05' 4 Runner hit. Insurance took care if it.. close to 20k in repairs. It can happen.
X-werks
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2000

Post by X-werks »

Bamboozled wrote:A friend of mine had his 05' 4 Runner hit. Insurance took care if it.. close to 20k in repairs. It can happen.
Wait a second ... I find your post most unbelievable... even more so than Gino's....

Seriously... you have a friend?

:P
I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
Bamboozled
justsoldone
justsoldone
Make/Model: WRX...
Year: 2003
Tim's: Needs Baileys.

Post by Bamboozled »

X-werks wrote:
Bamboozled wrote:A friend of mine had his 05' 4 Runner hit. Insurance took care if it.. close to 20k in repairs. It can happen.
Wait a second ... I find your post most unbelievable... even more so than Gino's....

Seriously... you have a friend?

:P
Moey, that was lame... hang your head on this one, you can do much better then that!

:teeth:
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

A vehicle is like a guassian sphere such that electricity will flow around the vehicle rather than through it. This is also the reason why if your car is hit with fallen power lines you are safe inside but step out and ZAP!!!

I suspect that the damage to the vehicle depends on the path the electricity has to take and it will take the path of least resistance. If the engine were in the path then sure damage would happen but I can't see electricity finding the engine as the easiest way out. More likely through the trucks body to the frame and down to the ground (the water dripping off those rubber tires is a good conductor).

I thought they myth busted the cellphone static thing :crazy:
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Spider 007
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Jeep YJ
Year: 1991
Tim's: Soup & a Sandwich!

Post by Spider 007 »

I suppose the only thing that would really make it dangerous for you in a storm is riding a motorcycle. :squeam:

Or maybe if you're dumb enough to drive around in a convertible with the top down! :lol:
To lift, or not to lift? What a stupid question...
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

Spider 007 wrote: Or maybe if you're dumb enough to drive around in a convertible with the top down! :lol:
Or in a Heep!
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now