AW outside the box

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Drizit
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Jeep LJ
Year: 2006
Tim's: Large 2 cream

Re: AW outside the box

Post by Drizit »

So, the extreme trails idea was a bust last year. No takers at all. So... I'm game to help people step up a bit but this time I want some suggestions of what you guys feel up for. Keep in mind there's no shame in getting stuck, and my goal as a guide is to get you back to the road without broken parts if at all possible.

Think about this possibility over the winter (perhaps aim a winter build with this in mind)

A winch is a big help with harder trails, a good one and a snatch block will get you through just about anything.

The IFS owners find themselves on 3 wheels a lot, at least a rear locker will help you make it through a huge amount. Without using lots of gas to make up for traction. Even a lunch box locker will make worlds of difference and not break the bank.

If it's a dry summer you will be able to do trails significantly harder than you are used to, last year at AW I ended up running Greens with one other jeep on 33" tires with no lockers and no lift. We used the winch twice and she didn't take the bypasses.

So with all that in mind what trails do you guys want to see next year besides the usual suspects? If some of you want to do rocky ridge I have no problem with that, if you want to to the rock I'm good there to. Heck we can do something easy then go play on the rock as its a quick trail. If you just want to do the upper loop of the rock that's ok as well. Come up with some ideas and I'll come up with a list of minimum requirements for em.
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: SAS Xterra
Year: 2000

Post by sandor »

I'm always up for harder trails, or helping those who want to try something harder. The problem I have is timing...AW has always been a bad weekend for me, and as such I think I have only made it to one or two of them. If I can make it this year, I am up for some harder trails, however I don't want you to plan on me making it, as history shows that is not a safe bet.
Drizit
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Drizit »

Lol nope ;)
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

This is great, Drizit, thanks for taking this on. Hopefully some folks with modded rigs will jump in.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Adam
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

I'd be up for it. Breaking suspension parts is always a risk. I just don't like smashing the body work to poop or busting windows lol.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Drizit
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Drizit »

Avoiding body damage is very realistic. Look at my jeep, there are very few dents. There is one obstacle on a trail at Trailfest that would cause damage if not for my armor, and one spot where I dented the door on timber 1 that would have been avoided with proper rock rails. I don't do the smash the body work off every tree thing.

The upper loop of the rock is easy to do without body damage, the lower loop as well provided your tires stick out enough,or you gab some bypasses. Frankly just about every trail in Ontario can be done without body damage if you are careful. On the other hand if you arn't it's quite possible to do damage on any trail.
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sandor »

I did Timbers 1 and the Rock (upper and lower) last year...no rock rails, no body damage. Take your time, pick the right line, and you should be fine.
BigRed44
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2007
Tim's: French Vanilla

Post by BigRed44 »

I was looking forward to some harder trails but the rig died before i could even get out with it. I'll be up for some harder ones next year fingers crossed.
OF4WD 6318
HAM Call Sign VA3ERX
CNTC Member BigRed44
Overland Bound 9362
noey
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Land Cruiser BJ42
Year: 1981

Post by noey »

Depending on timing, I'll join the harder runs with you guys.

Ya that was a good weekend Sandor! We'll do it again!
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sandor »

yeah we will!!! :thumbup:
Incognito27
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2015
Tim's: Donut , Hot Chocolate

Post by Incognito27 »

I think the primary thing needs to be more trail leaders , so that trails can get started somewhat close to on time and have someone responsible for that particular group , if someone signed up and isnt at the meeting place roughly on time , then they dont go to that trail . but trail leaders are needed , last year was good , but could be better. I wouldnt normally mind stepping up but i am a noob in the off road /trails world so i need to see more before i will feel comfortable leading a run.
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Incognito27 wrote:I think the primary thing needs to be more trail leaders...
100%. No matter how organized the admin/planning committee is, this is an issue - yes we can do better, but there are limits: 1) we are all on vacation so this isn't supposed to be a high pressure timetable, however I agree it would be nice to have some more focus to timing. It's not something we want to "enforce" since 2) we don't want to alienate the few trail leaders we have and 3) sometimes predesignated trail leaders can't make it at the last minute or have a break down.

We barely have enough leaders as it is - some the old guard are off on other adventures such as families, cottages, different hobbies etc. and we need new folks to step up and lead some trails.

I'd do more trail leading myself but a condition of my participation is bringing the family so I am limited that way until the kids are older.
#MoreRon

sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sandor »

I'd like to think that there is enough interest to do something for everyone. I personally wouldn't mind getting up early (ish), taking a small group (no more than 4 or 5) out on a trail in the morning (leaving on time), regroup, and head back out in the afternoon for another run on a different trail.

There is definitely opportunities for family oriented wheeling for those interested, but also have a heavier bias on wheeling scheduled for those looking for that. Not everyone can spend the whole day wheeling, especially when you have kids, and not everyone has kids, and therefore may want to spend more of the day wheeling. Everyone doesn't have to be on the same timetable, as there is plenty of time to catch up at the end of the day around the campfire.

Keep up the suggestions, don't be afraid to volunteer, and just get out there and have a good time. You are not alone, there is always someone out there thinking the same as you.
Incognito27
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2015
Tim's: Donut , Hot Chocolate

Post by Incognito27 »

Bow_Tied wrote:
Incognito27 wrote:I think the primary thing needs to be more trail leaders...
100%. No matter how organized the admin/planning committee is, this is an issue - yes we can do better, but there are limits: 1) we are all on vacation so this isn't supposed to be a high pressure timetable, however I agree it would be nice to have some more focus to timing. It's not something we want to "enforce" since 2) we don't want to alienate the few trail leaders we have and 3) sometimes predesignated trail leaders can't make it at the last minute or have a break down.

We barely have enough leaders as it is - some the old guard are off on other adventures such as families, cottages, different hobbies etc. and we need new folks to step up and lead some trails.

I'd do more trail leading myself but a condition of my participation is bringing the family so I am limited that way until the kids are older.

Oh i 100% agree , It shouldn't be a military operation and done with precision and on time type of thing , thats why i used ish , cause if we want to leave at 10 , ish , and a person who signed up isnt there at 10:30 then just leave , make sure the other people who signed up are there and get going , type of thing , the first and foremost is to have fun , any other shenanigans are just a bonus. I enjoyed wheeling last year , but long wheeling is taxing on the mind and body a little , by the Sunday i was just kinda tired lol , saying that its a matter of picking trails . Trails should get decided by the trail leaders before hand , and go with a wide range , from east to mediocre to hard /hardest . And maybe something in there for the folks with kids , like a short trail or event , and then off to some waterfall or beach or whatever for half a day , im sure folks would be willing to drive a wee bit to a beach .

Just thoughts ill have more ideas im sure closer to season we get :P
Drizit
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Drizit »

The issue I ran into was no one signed up for the harder trails. If I'm picking things that are 2 hard that's fine, I'm more looking to get a feel for people who want to step up from shoe lake want to do. I mean we could do beaver dam or something like that to.
Adam
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

I was going to lead but then my truck needed parts that I had to order from the states, that ended up taking 3 weeks to arrive. I will for sure do it this year.

I'm also with sandor on the amount of trucks. 4-5 is a great number. I'd rather get up and on the trail FOR 8 or 9 and get back early aft and relax with a few drinks, than get on the trail at the normal 10-11.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Drizit wrote:The issue I ran into was no one signed up for the harder trails. If I'm picking things that are 2 hard that's fine, I'm more looking to get a feel for people who want to step up from shoe lake want to do. I mean we could do beaver dam or something like that to.

I am not sure why that is, maybe people were intimidated, maybe they were like me and risk adverse, I don't know.

Maybe if we get more CNTCers out on the trails during the summer and posting pics of the fun on new trails it will encourage them to sign up for different trails.
#MoreRon

Drizit
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Drizit »

Possibly. Want to tb and take pictures?
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

A great offer, thank-you muchly. I did this last year as tb with Josh in his blue Rubi I was the trail guide and that worked fine. The rub for me is that I spend week preparing for AW and then don't run my own rig when I have the opportunity. Was a great option last year after smacking my fender and I was not in the game zone for driving.
#MoreRon

sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sandor »

Bow_Tied wrote:
Drizit wrote:The issue I ran into was no one signed up for the harder trails. If I'm picking things that are 2 hard that's fine, I'm more looking to get a feel for people who want to step up from shoe lake want to do. I mean we could do beaver dam or something like that to.
I am not sure why that is, maybe people were intimidated, maybe they were like me and risk adverse, I don't know.
It's the Jeep...no one like Jeepers other than other Jeepers...where do you think the saying came from "Jeepers Creepers"? Jeepers give non-Jeepers the creepers.