Sandblasting & Powder coating

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
Wildpix
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra Pro4X
Year: 2011`
Tim's: Large XX

Sandblasting & Powder coating

Post by Wildpix »

So, I just took my skids & sliders off the X today. (Replacing the steering system) But I want to get the front skid and my sliders cleaned up and powder coated. Any suggestions as to where????? I'm in the Hammer but will travel to have it done right!

Thanks,
John
'Life isn't like a bowl
of cherries , it's more like a hot curry--what you
do today, might burn your butt tomorrow......'
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Re: Sandblasting & Powder coating

Post by Scotto »

My neighbour does the powder coat thing. I could ask him.

Give me a shout via PM and I'll have a chat with him.

Scott
Wildpix
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Wildpix »

PM sent, Thanks
'Life isn't like a bowl
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

I'm thinking, John, that with the amount of stuff you want to do, and the amount of road rash that stuff gets, that powder coating may not be the way to go. From my experience, powder-coating is great until you get a puncture in the coat, and then it all flakes off.

Bender has this guy that sandblasts and then uses a heavy-duty epoxy based paint to cover the stuff. It's harder than the metal.

I'll still ask my neighbour about it... But I suspect there are better options.

In the meantime, here's the link from Bender:

http://www.411.ca/business/Ontario/Alma ... 29432.html

Scott
Wildpix
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Wildpix »

I'll give them a call, thanks.
'Life isn't like a bowl
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Hey John;

Talked to the neighbour. They do a variety of coatings, not just powder coat. Like I said, he said no to the powder coat. It'll chip and then peel. But he had other solutions. Not cheap. He figured, by the time it was all said and done (and this was a guest-a-mit) it would be around $1500 for bumper, tire carrier, sliders and skids. Maybe more. You're looking at paint, and then he suggested doing a good clear coat with a hardener. He said he did a motorcycle frame, which is more difficult than a bumper because of the angles, for $400. He's guessing at the cost based on that job.

Did I mention this guy I know is 15 years old? Yeah. It's his grandpa's shop. But he's on top of his stuff, eh?

He (the kid, not the grandpa) also makes really cool motorcycle jack stands, if you want one of those. Comes custom with your name (or whatever else you want) plasma cut into the base.

Scott
0ddb4ll
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra OR
Tim's: Coffee M 2M 1S

Post by 0ddb4ll »

Hey John,

I don't know if you already took care of this or not but Jay-Mar guy (link from Bender that Scotto posted address & phone are below) does a pretty good job and he was not that expensive (don't ask me how much it was, I really don't remember). When I got my bare-metal skids from Shrock several years back I took them to Jay Mar and had them sand-blasted, epoxy sprayed, and powder coated/painted.

That epoxy stuff is tough, really tough, and is great for things normal people do but hit it hard enough with a sharp rock by driving into the aforementioned rock and you could go through it. Most of the scratches I do get don't go that deep and without the epoxy I would be getting into the metal so I am really liking it. Powder coat/paint that is on top of that is not flaking, at least not in my case. All I do at the end of the year, or in the spring depending on how lazy I feel at the time, is clean the skids, spray a coat or two of the rust converter stuff over the scrapes and scratches and cover that with couple of coats of Rust-oleum Tremclad rust paint.

Jay Mar Auto Body
7206 12th Line, Alma, ON N0B 1A0
Tel: +1.519.846.0437

Damir
You are smart if you believe only one half of what you hear. You're a genius if you know which half that should be.