School me on '05/'06 Xterras

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 4
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

School me on '05/'06 Xterras

Post by Bow_Tied »

I see the prices are coming down, at least it appears so. example, $13k @69k kms: http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Nissan/Xterr ... rucks_vans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do I need to know if I decide to shop for one? Any first year problems with the '05? What are the main differences in models, I see there is an "S", "SE", and "Off-Road".... Any trouble/weak spots to watch for?
Thanks! :)
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Simon
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Re: School me on '05/'06 Xterras

Post by Simon »

Be careful of transmission coolers leaking into the rad (or vice versa) causing coolant to get into the transmission, then transmission failure. There were a lot of Pathfinders of that era with the problem, and I'm not sure if the Xterra's suffered it as well.

Other than that, there were some pulley issues I remember some of them having, but overall, I think those that have them are happy.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

That trans. problems has been happening to the x's also.The front diff's are supposedly weak also.
SLRX
I'm learning to use 4-hi
Make/Model: Xterra OffRoad
Year: 2006

Post by SLRX »

As said, the transmission problem is there. Mostly 05 model year. And a little into the 06's and 7's even. And for some reason the problem mostly happened in the 30,000-40,000 mile range. I have heard of a couple 05 rear end problems with the Dana44, but those were the only two that I have been aware of, and it had to do with some towing of stuff possibly heavier than should have been towed..... The front diff is weak. (A lot of that has to do with what is between the steering wheel and the back of the seat) But that said, I have run mine hard and have had zero problems. Actually have had no problems with my 06 at all.
The biggest difference between Models is the "OffRoad" has a locking rear differential. ARB is releasing a locker for the X, S, and SE soon. The SE and the OffRoad have a Rockford Fosgate Stereo System and the others don't. I think the SE may have an aux input for music on the stereo and a few creature comfort things but nothing that makes it extremely different.
Rev
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Year: 2008
Tim's: Hot chocolate

Post by Rev »

I have an SE but wish I had an offroad.

Besides the trans cooler problem and the potentially weak front diff (mine is fine) the hood sometimes squeaks (easily fixed), some people report bottoming out in the rear (but if you AAL this is no problem) and some people don't like the cheap plastics. But overall it is a pretty reliable rig. You can put 33s on stock with a little plastic melting and it has plenty of power and comfort.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Isn't the OR the only one where you can get the 6-Speed?
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
SLRX
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by SLRX »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Isn't the OR the only one where you can get the 6-Speed?
The X, S, and OffRoad come with a 6 speed. The SE is the model that only comes in an auto.
The OR in automatic has hill start assist and descent control.
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Great feedback gents, thanks.

Rev - what is AAL?

Waht is the auto trans failure mode and typical repair cost (full rebuild?)

Is the 6 speed robust?

What is the failure mode in the front diffs, tell me it is not gear teeth?

How are the tie-rods - same issues as the first gens? What about the front control arms?

I presume these are 5k towing - any towing worries (within limits)?

tia
#MoreRon

SLRX
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by SLRX »

There shouldn't be a repair cost for the transmission. Nissan has upped the Factory Warranty to cover it.
6 Speed is more Robust than the Auto.. A few miles/km per gallon more too I would say.
I don't recall the exact failure of the front diffs. But if you break it you are definitely doing something you shouldn't... The thing just isn't going to give up on you. I can attest to that.
I changed all my stuff out within 3000 miles in regards to Control Arms and such. So never really went through any issues with anything up front.
Yes. 5k towing. No worries within limits.
And to answer for Rev. AAL = Add A Leaf
SLRX
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by SLRX »

There is one other thing I remember. The warranty for the front drive line has been upped as well. They were finding the u-joints on the driveline were going bad "early". They replace the whole driveline with the warranty. I went in and had them change it out on mine. No questions even with the mods that mine has.
Rev

Post by Rev »

SLRX wrote: I don't recall the exact failure of the front diffs. But if you break it you are definitely doing something you shouldn't... The thing just isn't going to give up on you. I can attest to that. Leaf
Sorry but that's just wrong.
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread ... post619288" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Thanks for the clarification SLRX.

Wow Rev, that shows a large failure rate. I bet it the percentage of total units sold isn't that high, but the fact that these aren't 10 yrs old yet makes me worried. I didn't read all 20 pages but it sounds like actual gear teeth failure? :(
#MoreRon

SLRX
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by SLRX »

Rev wrote:
SLRX wrote: I don't recall the exact failure of the front diffs. But if you break it you are definitely doing something you shouldn't... The thing just isn't going to give up on you. I can attest to that. Leaf
Sorry but that's just wrong.
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread ... post619288" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I understand there are problems. I have never been on thenewx. I am glad I had never seen that thread until today. I have heavily wheeled my truck for over 5 years now and have had no problems. I will leave it at that I am fortunate not to have blown my front diff.
Rev

Post by Rev »

Bow_Tied wrote:Thanks for the clarification SLRX.

Wow Rev, that shows a large failure rate. I bet it the percentage of total units sold isn't that high, but the fact that these aren't 10 yrs old yet makes me worried. I didn't read all 20 pages but it sounds like actual gear teeth failure? :(
I'm no expert but it seems to be a combo of the teeth and the flexible aluminum case. But don't let that thread scare you too much. For the most part it is guys who heavily wheel, and sometimes abuse their rigs. However there are guys who blow them just driving down the street. At the same time the Titan swap is becoming much more common as a viable lift that greatly improves the durability of the front. If you buy a manual OR I think it is easiest to do a TS, but I may be wrong. I'd have to add in an OR rear as well as the front to do a Titan Swap because I have an SE.
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

What is it about the OR dif that better matches the Titan - gear ratio?
#MoreRon

the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

I have driven the OR 6 speed.It is awesome.Lots of power.I was spinnin wheels.If these new X's are running well,they are awesome.Just awesome.Did I say awesome.
X-Treme
Make/Model: Xterra - Offroad
Year: 2005

Post by X-Treme »

As an owner of ’05 Xterra I can say without hesitation you will love this truck. If you can, buy the "Off-Road" edition. It comes with the extra toys needed if you want to go and play like the locking rear differential and full skid-plates (factory plates are weak but better than nothing and can be replaced if you feel the need).

Other than regular maintenance I haven’t had any problems that weren't solved by recalls and once problem under warranty (VDC/Slip Light coming on.) Go here for a list of recalls and service bulletins for all Nissan Vehicles.

After having driven manual transmission cars since I started driving I opted for an automatic transmission in the truck and it was the best decision I made especially since I like to off-road. I couldn't imagine off-roading with the manual transmission, the gear ratio isn't low enough on the Xterra in my opinion.

The suspension is soft despite this being a off-road capable truck but Nissan understands that most people who buy this truck aren’t going to off-road it and appreciated the softer suspension. You can solve it if you want with stiffer springs up front and an add-a-leaf (AAL) in the rear. You’ll notice the soft rear (bottoming out) more that the soft front so the AAL is an low-cost and easy solution.

The front diff problem I believe has to do more with abuse than a weakness or defect per se.
Watch it! I'm keeping my eye on you.
Rev

Post by Rev »

Bow_Tied wrote:What is it about the OR dif that better matches the Titan - gear ratio?
That's right. I think the OR and the manual S matches.
Rev

Post by Rev »

My truck is for sale if you are interested. I need to scale down the car payments.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread ... post630368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14237" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$23,999 which is barely more than I owe on it.
39,468km
Location is Midland Ontario Canada

Looking to sell built first. Then will look at parting out after if necessary.

Is in great shape. Krown undercoasted twice over the last 2.5 years. Has two small dents on the rear hatch from my bicycle and some minor pinstripes. Truck is clean.
Last edited by Rev on Sun May 01, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Booerns!
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer