Adventure Travel

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra
Year: 2005
Tim's: Large, DC, 1 sweetner

Re: Adventure Travel

Post by xrover »

Some more of Tom's wisdom
- think twice about bringing a hi-lift jack. They are heavy, need to be lashed down securely, and many of today's vehicles do not have square surfaces to be able to use them on. Hear Hear Tom - I'll bring my Xjack instead!
- for expedition travel in sand and bush, a winch is not ideal to bring unless travelling alone. You are better to use recovery techniques with sand ladders (aluminum channel type that will support the weight and NOT PSP) and long tug ropes. The added weight, the added load on electrical, are not worth it. If you must go with a winch, then try to make it a mechanical type that is driven from the engine during tickover. It can work all day long.
- always remove the second row seats if there are only 2 of you. The amount of space and weight you gain is significant
- flush mount hook systems are superior over standard loop systems for securing loads. Protuding hooks will damage and dent all things you stow. Use luggage style tension straps or ratchet straps for safe securing of the equipment (I know a guy who rolled his jeep down a large hill and luckily was belted in. Most of their cuts and bruises came from the littany of stuff that flew around the cab which was not stowed away properly.
- you can't get enough flat surfaces. Make a tray that uses your storage console or transmission hump to give you a flat surface for eating a quick meal on. Quick to put on, easy to make, and will get a lot of use.
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
Zeero
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Jeep Wrangler
Year: 2007
Tim's: Tea

Post by Zeero »

Xrover,

That is indeed an interesting "bible" and a great suggestion for anyone considering anything beyond a weekend, in fact, I think it would be great for the SERIOUS weekend adventurer to.

Great plug. :thumbup:
morb
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2004
Tim's: DD

Post by morb »

That's been my build strategy from the get go.
Rev
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Year: 2008
Tim's: Hot chocolate

Post by Rev »

I'd love to do some overlanding one day. Just need to find the right time of life to do it.
ironman
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Pathfinder SE
Year: 2005
Tim's: Tim's reg coffe/crulerz

Post by ironman »

This is my grand scheme just keep on going and going all across Canada.
KM2's Get r Done