Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: D22 XE 4x4
Year: 2004
Tim's: LG 2C1S

Bender Built WD21 Rock Sliders

Post by nige »

After letting my rocker panels rust out, I decided it was time to get some rock sliders to protect them. I got a good deal on some 2x3" 1/4" wall steel, and some 1 7/8" or so tubing and took the material over to Bender's to start building a set of sliders. We decided to make them bolt on, so they could be easily removed for repainting and cleaning purposes.

The first thing we did was get the measurement for the length, which was just long enough to clear the front tires. The ends were cut on an angle so they don't catch, and capped with 1/4 plate to protect them:

After that we made some stand offs out of 1/4" plate and 2x2" square stock. I drilled mounting holes in the frame and got some hardware to fasten them with. We clamped everything together in the right position and tacked them together:

Bender welded them up and I took them home, gave them a coat of self etching primer, and a quick rattle can job the day before I left for Moab. When I got back, Bender and I bent the round tube and tacked it to the outside of the 2x3. That was the hardest part I think. It was tricky to get the angles right and have the tube somewhat flush to the 2x3. I don't have any pictures of that process, just the finished product mounted on the truck:

From the side:

you can see how much they stick out from this angle:

The 2x3 tubing is supposed to take the brunt of an impact while the round tubing offers a place to stand on as well as act as pivot points for trees etc. They are also useful when there is no dock at the boat launch. The round tube is also thick enough to take some bumps off rocks, and support the full weight of the truck when lifting with a jack. There are 2 supports for the round tube to make sure they don't bend in the middle. They are cut from the same stock as the 1 7/8" round tube.

The only other thing i am going to do is go to the skateboard shop and get some grip tape for the tops of the round tube. The paint gets scratched too easily if you have small pebbles stuck in the treads of your boots.

So same as the rear bumper, i would like to hear your thoughts on the sliders. Is there anything you would have done differently or change? I like all feedback, not just the good stuff.

Now we just have to figure out what we're gonna make next :?
OF4WD Member #5472
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Re: Bender Built WD21 Rock Sliders

Post by the x kid »

I am trying to find something to not like but they are basically perfect.It's good someone actually wants a honest opinion.The only thing I could think off is making the top of the round tubing flat for a step.Like a D on the side.Or just do in a rectangle piece to stand on easier.Other than that I want a set.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Nice work lads! Another beautiful Bender Built product :thumbup:

So, if I wanted to add the round bar to my sliders, I assume it would be a relatively easy process?
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Bender
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Nissan Sentra SER
Tim's: Mcdonalds coffee

Post by Bender »

Yes.
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

Lol, I was thinking the same thing as Simon...

OOOO, ROUND BAR!

:thumbup:
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Pezzy
Make/Model: Ford F150
Year: 2018
Tim's: Steeped Tea, 1/2 Sugar

Post by Pezzy »

Very nice work, Señor bendy pants!
I my PATHFInDERs.
R.I.P. 99.5 Green Machine :cry:
262 Chevy
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Wrangler Rubicon
Year: 2015
Tim's: Lg DD

Post by 262 Chevy »

looks good guys, same setup as the ones ive ordered and am currently waiting for to install...
2000 ZR2 Blazer- 31" BFG KM2's, Cragar Soft 8's, 1.5" Lift Shackles, Rola Roof Basket, Smittybilt Winch, Offroad Recovery Package, Back Rack and Jerry Can, CKnaffle Rock Sliders, Custom Steel Skid Package, 2" PA Body Lift, Snorkel.
nige
Make/Model: D22 XE 4x4
Year: 2004
Tim's: LG 2C1S

Post by nige »

bender, did i leave that jack stand in your garage? i'm missing one of mine from my shed
OF4WD Member #5472
Bender
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Nissan Sentra SER
Tim's: Mcdonalds coffee

Post by Bender »

I don't think so but if/when I remember I will look. Maybe some carnies took that as well!