Forum was just upgraded to the latest version of phpBB. If you have any issues please report them to the admins or moderators. Enjoy!

What did you do to your rig today?

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Re: What did you do to your rig today?

Post by Adam »

I'm going to test it and if I have to I was thinking about running the ext speaker connection to the aux on my radio.

Replaced my brake shoes and this time put new drums on as the old ones had a pretty bad ridge. Gotta hand it to Nissan, the 20 year old drums are probably still usable with a mild machining. Had a leaking wheel cylinder and it contaminated the shoes. Also replaced a blown shock.

The pedal still feels like poop (pretty sure I adjusted the drums right), and the parking brake cable is seized so I just cut it off and didn't hook it back up for now, it was rattling against the frame.

Nasty:
310998127_1146751872881472_6384973866506931291_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Bow_Tied
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Adam wrote:I'm going to test it and if I have to I was thinking about running the ext speaker connection to the aux on my radio.
Let me know how that works. My future ideas consider a new facade for the pocket ahead of my shifter with a cutout for the CB. The AUX in is right there for me.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Adam

Post by Adam »

Will do, going to try and tackle it this afternoon. I could also just cut a hole in the plastic that sits below the radio. The angle it is on you'd never see it to be honest.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Adam

Post by Adam »

Well I almost got it in. Have to trim the aftermarket radio bezel thing, that’s fine. So far the speaker is pretty loud, I don’t think hearing it on the trail will be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Are you going to forego the aux connection?
#MoreRon

Adam

Post by Adam »

For now, it seems fine the way it is.

Adam

Post by Adam »

Attempted to replace the collector gaskets on my headers. What a pain. Couldn't get 1 of the bolts completely off so I just loosened it enough so there was a gap. Cut the gasket where that bolt hole was and slid it in.

BigRed44
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2007
Tim's: French Vanilla

Post by BigRed44 »

aired up all 4 tires they were lookin a little low( 8 psi in all of them) and then tried to start it but found a dead battery.
OF4WD 6318
HAM Call Sign VA3ERX
CNTC Member BigRed44
Overland Bound 9362
BigRed44
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BigRed44 »

aired up all 4 tires they were lookin a little low( 8 psi in all of them) and then tried to start it but found a dead battery.
OF4WD 6318
HAM Call Sign VA3ERX
CNTC Member BigRed44
Overland Bound 9362
Adam

Post by Adam »

Do you have an optima or just a regular lead acid batt?

BigRed44
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BigRed44 »

just a regular lead acid
OF4WD 6318
HAM Call Sign VA3ERX
CNTC Member BigRed44
Overland Bound 9362
Adam

Post by Adam »

Ah yeah I have the same problem with the pathfinder. Don't drive it enough and the battery freezes if not left on a trickle charger. I got one of these to test my batteries:
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BigRed44
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BigRed44 »

i ususally have it on a battery tender over the winter just didn't get that far before it died.
OF4WD 6318
HAM Call Sign VA3ERX
CNTC Member BigRed44
Overland Bound 9362
Adam

Post by Adam »

Yeah I had the same problem on the car. The battery is now frozen and swollen :disapprove:

BigRed44
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BigRed44 »

we are dealing with that up at the cottage with the big deep cell batteries they got severly discharged this winter and may not make it through the spring.
OF4WD 6318
HAM Call Sign VA3ERX
CNTC Member BigRed44
Overland Bound 9362
Adam

Post by Adam »

That sucks, bet those suckers are pricey to replace.

the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

Adam wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:02 am Ah yeah I have the same problem with the pathfinder. Don't drive it enough and the battery freezes if not left on a trickle charger. I got one of these to test my batteries:

image.png

You still have the white pathfinder?

Adam

Post by Adam »

the wrote:
Adam wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:02 am Ah yeah I have the same problem with the pathfinder. Don't drive it enough and the battery freezes if not left on a trickle charger. I got one of these to test my batteries:

image.png

You still have the white pathfinder?

I have my black one still.

the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

I see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Long story on our Xterra running hot, finally solved.

Roll tape back to winter 2022. The truck was putting out little to no heat. Some at idle, went away as one started driving on a cold day. Classic tstat stuck open. Being winter and terribly busy, we dropped it off at Nissan dealer in town for a new tstat. Fixed the issue just fine, lots of heat.

Roll tape forward to spring of 2022. Noticed a constant fan noise. First thought it was a failed clutch fan. Further investigation determined the mechanical fan was fine; however, the e-fan was on constantly after the truck warmed up. This fan should not come on unless coolant is 98°C+ but gauge was showing usual just below middle of the road. Flushing mud out of the rad/condenser and other checks did not yield any change. Changed the rad. No change to temps. Changed the temp sensor, no change. Head scratching. Considered that I got a bad tstat from the dealer and bought another from Partsource, a Motorad brand. Tore it all apart yet again. The tstat removed turned out to be also a Motorad that the dealer had installed! Whatever, how could two be bad, so I put the new one in and buttoned it back up. No change!!

Some time went by as the summer was wasting away and I had a lot of other things to get done, truck drove great as always, but ran hot, so we limited it largely to in town trips. Trusty old scan gauge II showed the temp was as high as 110 or 112 which is way too warm. So, what is it... water pumps either work or don't and everything else is new. ECM? Warm weather here again and before I go drastic, I thought I'd give a 3rd tstat a shot. Finally went and got a Nissan thermostat ($80!), tore it all apart, yet again, and put it in. Et voila! Fixed.   :happydance:  A week on now and no issues, running cool at 90°±2°.

A failed stat replaced by two bad ones. That's 3 tstats installed in short order, in total.  Who has luck like that?  :irked:  Did I get two bad Motorad tstats or are all of them bad for this application?  Not sure, but I will never use another.

It would appear that the dash temp gauge, which does move around some, is more placebo than anything.  I watched the gauge vs. the Scangauge II readout and the gauge does not move in lock step with the temp the computer reports to the OBDII scanner.  It wouldn't go above the mid point of the gauge at 110° which to me is wrong - at this temp the A/C will cut-out on warm days to protect the system.  Something to keep in mind.  I have encountered this kind of gauge issue on other vehicles as well. 

Anyway on to other things finally.

#MoreRon