Calmini add a leaf

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
HolidayNation
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra XE stick
Year: 2004
Tim's: 60oz BEER please

Calmini add a leaf

Post by HolidayNation »

Quoted 310 plus tax from National. Any opinions? I need to lift the arse end a bit, and eventually finish a 3" lift, I thought I would start with the add a leaf and at this point can only find the Calmini.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREYs WITHOUT BATS]- :)
Where's Slawek?........... Crunch?
Aerosols may be depleting the ozone, but warning labels are depleting the gene pool
OF4WD-5557
Bender
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Nissan Sentra SER
Year: 2011
Tim's: Mcdonalds coffee

Re: Calmini add a leaf

Post by Bender »

What about the Rancho add a leaf that you can get for around the $80 mark from CT? I have that one, plus a custom one from a spring shop ( Earl gave that to me )?

http://nissantruckclub.com/ntc/zzforum/ ... add,a,leaf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://nissantruckclub.com/ntc/zzforum/ ... add,a,leaf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thats all I could find that was relevant.
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

National must be throwing in some more stuff for $310 - that seems a bit steep for an AAL. Jason: Yours was $80 bucks? Wow - that's cheap.

Has Dave quoted you, just maybe, on shackles, and a leaf? I could see that being $310.

Scott
avacado
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Frontier SE Crew
Tim's: XL 2x2

Post by avacado »

I was recently quoted closer to $400 by a spring shop in town to add leafs in the rear of the frontier; no shackles, just making up the leafs and longer U-bolts plus installation. Sounded way too expensive to me. Please tell me more about this $80 deal from CT. Tried to access the links but no bueno.
2004 Frontier SE Crew
32" BFG M/T's
Cobra CB
Bamboozled
justsoldone
justsoldone
Make/Model: WRX...
Year: 2003
Tim's: Needs Baileys.

Post by Bamboozled »

I had my leaf pack rebuilt in the spring - 3 aside. It was about $480 all said and done. $310 is way too much for one. Shop around is my advise.
xcanuk
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2000

Post by xcanuk »

FWIW, I paid $249 (tax in) for my calmini aal through National, but that was 7-8 years ago. I wanted calmini because they added 2 leafs vs everyone else's 1. The old story about more thinner straws stronger that one thick one
X-werks
Sparkplug
Sparkplug

Post by X-werks »

I once did the Calmini AAL - and while you do get two leafs - I have since learned that a good local spring shop - can do much better - and usually for less money...

Poke around your city - there has got to be a couple good shops that will do the job.
I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: SAS Xterra

Post by sandor »

I had a leaf replaced in each spring pack and some longer u-bolts custom made and installed by a local spring shop this year for $280 everything in. For some additional lift, he said he would take the spring pack packs apart, add another leaf under the main leaf and do some re-arching for the same amount, and use the same u-bolts he made.

I agree with the suggestion of looking around. $310 + taxes, and then you have to do the install yourself. I am all for doing things myself, but not when I can get someone else to do it faster and cheaper.
medic
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Grand Cherokee
Year: 2014

Post by medic »

I did the CT Rancho AAL, along with the extra leaf and u bolts from a spring shop...

Brought it all to Earl and VOILA - Poor Man's Lift
Xgirl
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Xterra SE

Post by Xgirl »

I did the Rancho thing from CT on medics suggestion but you must go in with the exact part # because they do not know what they are talking about at CT. Thier is an older guy down here at the CT at Dundas/403 who knows whats going on but anyone else is just wasting your time. The cost was about $60.

I then went to a spring shop on Martin grove up by the airport (Earl at Dermac knows exactly where it is) and got 4 leafs for $80 and then bought some extra bolts. Then brought them back to Big Earl to install!! Probably spent $250 in total.

They do settle after awhile and you have to have them cranked up again but maybe its worth a try! :)
Xgirl
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Xterra SE

Post by Xgirl »

I have the part number as I kept the bill from ct
AAL-Key stone order RS 60612( this could be an 8???) This is the number in the parts book
41-1500-6 $89.55 this is the number on the cash register receipt, this was in 2006.

I believe I dealt with a older guy (in his 60's) named Erhurt.

Even with the part number that Medic gave me I still had a hassle trying to get this part until Erhurt showed up and showed the rest of the twits working thier how to use the parts book. :lol:
HolidayNation

Post by HolidayNation »

Thanks gang, I will keep cruising. I will check out the CT one, thanx to Xgirl for dropping me the numbers, that should make dealing with CT easier, the one in the west end of Kanata is usually really good, so I will head there. I'll let ya know lol.

Thanks again

E
Aerosols may be depleting the ozone, but warning labels are depleting the gene pool
OF4WD-5557
Pezzy
Make/Model: Ford F150
Year: 2018
Tim's: Steeped Tea, 1/2 Sugar

Post by Pezzy »

From NTC:
Originally posted by Xcited
Manufacturer: Rancho
Part #: RS60612 (Rancho Part #)
Purchase Price: $112 all inclusive
Vendor:Van and Truck World - Guelph
Purchase Date: May 2002

Review (as of Nov 2002):

I have now had the Rancho AAL installed for six months, over which I have driven about 12,000kms. I have driven from Ontario to Pennsylvania, up to the New England States, through NB, NS, NF and Quebec. I have been offroading at Paragon in PA (during ECXC), in Minden, Coopers Falls, Dune Park, and a few other small places.

All that being said, for the price paid for this AAL set, they have been great. I achieved about 2" of lift in the rear of the truck and find that handling, both ON and OFF road is much better. The rear end of the truck is much stiffer in handling and takes loading much better as well. I towed a 2,500lb camper over about 5,000 kms in the span of two weeks and the tongue weight didn't drop the rear end of the truck at all. The rear was still higher than the front while towing!

Overall, I have been very pleased with this purchase and have had NO problems what so ever. It has been a great addition to the very poor stock spring pack.
I my PATHFInDERs.
R.I.P. 99.5 Green Machine :cry:
xlthumper
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra
Tim's: Tea w/ milk bag in please

Post by xlthumper »

ok is it 112 total a side or 112 total for the both sides? zus a 2 inch lift with and aal is great .
X-werks
Sparkplug
Sparkplug

Post by X-werks »

xlthumper wrote:ok is it 112 total a side or 112 total for the both sides? zus a 2 inch lift with and aal is great .
For the Rancho - it's the kit ( two leaves - one per side )
I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
HolidayNation

Post by HolidayNation »

Funny thing, my local CT said they don't deal with keystone anymore and napa quoted 122 bucks aside although I think he may be mistaken. Argggggh
OF4WD-5557
Pezzy
Make/Model: Ford F150
Year: 2018
Tim's: Steeped Tea, 1/2 Sugar

Post by Pezzy »

Try http://www.driverfx.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, they have them listed under the part # RS60612

I'm not sure if that is for one, or both sides.
I my PATHFInDERs.
R.I.P. 99.5 Green Machine :cry:
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

HolidayNation wrote:Funny thing, my local CT said they don't deal with keystone anymore and napa quoted 122 bucks aside although I think he may be mistaken. Argggggh
I have a friend who works for Donnelly Ford here in Ottawa that can get anything in the Keystone DB. I can give you his contact info if you like..

He'll likely be able to give you at least a bit of a discount on things as well. They don't however, do the installs on anything non-Ford related though...

Just means a Mod-day at some point!
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
0ddb4ll
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra OR
Year: 2006
Tim's: Coffee M 2M 1S

Post by 0ddb4ll »

Calmini add-a-leaf for 2000-2004 X's is quoted at $179.95 US on their site - could always order directly from them. Ends up ~$220 CAD + shipping + customs. You get two leaves per side, centre bolts, nuts, complete U-bolt kit, and bump stop extensions. I actually got their 2.5" lift kit for my '06 and I'm pretty happy with it, as far as budget kits go...
You are smart if you believe only one half of what you hear. You're a genius if you know which half that should be.
xlthumper
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra
Tim's: Tea w/ milk bag in please

Post by xlthumper »

when i had too get a broken leaf fixed i asked about an AAL and Transit Spring quoted me 350.00 too add one leaf each side and replace broken leaf including labour so i think i will go ask them for 2 leaves and hardware quote. i only really want 1.75 of lift after settling and not too stiff on the rear so i might need custom leaf.