Forum was just upgraded to the latest version of phpBB. If you have any issues please report them to the admins or moderators. Enjoy!

What did you do to your rig today?

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Re: What did you do to your rig today?

Post by Adam »

Let's bring this one back...

Discovered leaking steering box on the weekend while swapping my AC compressor... Right at the input shaft. Just wet for now so will keep an eye on it.

Replaced AC compressor, vacuumed and charged system, have nearly 40F air at idle now.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
PhullD
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra Pro4x
Year: 2015
Tim's: Tea

Post by PhullD »

I'm jealous of the AC temperature lol
Adam

Post by Adam »

I would think yours would be just as good if not better? Have you ever hosed out your radiator/condenser? Mine had a poop ton of mud in there, I'm sure the engine runs cooler now too.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
PhullD
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhullD »

My Xterra is fine, I was referring to the X-Trail with the sketchy blower motor.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Still haven't replaced that eh?

PhullD
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhullD »

$500 at the dealer, no lol
Incognito27
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Xterra
Tim's: Donut , Hot Chocolate

Post by Incognito27 »

I just did new rotors and pads all the way around , but i have some rubbing on the front passenger side now, need to have a look. Aside from that its great to have brakes again , sucks i have to change front pads 2 times a year lol
Adam

Post by Adam »

That is a short time between pad replacements. Are you sure you don't have sticking calipers? Or are you doing crazy amounts of mileage? The pads on the truck typically last me 30-50k.

Bow_Tied
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Agreed. Are the pads moving freely upon install?
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Incognito27
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Incognito27 »

Bow_Tied wrote:Agreed. Are the pads moving freely upon install?
Adam wrote:That is a short time between pad replacements. Are you sure you don't have sticking calipers? Or are you doing crazy amounts of mileage? The pads on the truck typically last me 30-50k.
Yes each time i do the pads i do the servicing on the guide pins and relube them , they are free moving.
This is the first time i have put new rotors with new pads on the truck , up until now its been just pads .

And i am putting enough mileage , have to remember i have extra weight on the truck which will wear the standard pads down faster cause city driving and people who can't drive.
Adam

Post by Adam »

You should keep track of how long they last in terms of km. Mine usually last around 50k and my truck is not light either, I tow a trailer frequently, and I live downtown. What brand of pads are you using?

Bow_Tied
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Also inspect the boot or rubber seal around the caliper piston. I have had it happen where heat (over heating from dragging pads) cooked this seal causing the piston to not move easily and wearing out new pads prematurely.

I too recommend replacing the rear flex lines, especially if one side is worn notably more than the other. Sometimes the degrade on the inside and restrict return flow causing temporary pad dragging.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Incognito27
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Incognito27 »

Adam wrote:You should keep track of how long they last in terms of km. Mine usually last around 50k and my truck is not light either, I tow a trailer frequently, and I live downtown. What brand of pads are you using?
Bow_Tied wrote:Also inspect the boot or rubber seal around the caliper piston. I have had it happen where heat (over heating from dragging pads) cooked this seal causing the piston to not move easily and wearing out new pads prematurely.

I too recommend replacing the rear flex lines, especially if one side is worn notably more than the other. Sometimes the degrade on the inside and restrict return flow causing temporary pad dragging.
Brand is an off brand from amazon , i seem to be getting about 20ish k , i am putting plenty of KMs on the truck , so maybe i am more than 1.25 set of pads on the front each year . rears rarely.

Also rear flex lines have all been changed when i did the lift. rears seem to be fine , fronts are still making noise , need to take the fronts off and have a look , maybe tomorrow ill have a look if its not to warm.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Brand is an off brand from amazon

I'll say this, get some good pads from a name brand. It doesn't have to be anything fancy like Hawk or EBC. I have even had good luck with Monroe brake pads and AC Delco. They will last way longer and probably perform better. You won't save anything getting the cheaper ones because now you are changing them more often. Currently I'm running the PartSource pro series on the Xterra and like them, I think I paid less than 50 with a discount.

Adam

Post by Adam »

As for what I did to my rig today, I adjusted the rear drum brakes. I had put new shoes on a while ago but after they settled in I never re adjusted them. Took almost 20 clicks of the adjuster wheel but I finally have a good pedal again and the parking brake works lol.

Drizit
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Jeep LJ
Year: 2006
Tim's: Large 2 cream

Post by Drizit »

PhullD wrote:$500 at the dealer, no lol
Have you checked car-part.com? Can probably get the blower cheap from the scrapper
Adam

Post by Adam »

Or another aftermarket one, try a different brand.

Drizit
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Drizit »

Upgraded the tired batteries in the Dodge today from group 65s to a pair of group 31 big rig batteries. Only requireed mod to make em fit is a longer cable from the alternator to the passanger battery and a bit of rerouting on the others. Apparently it needed replacing anyway. Image
Adam

Post by Adam »

Mmm green crusties. Is that a Chrysler thing or was that truck poorly maintained?

This weekend I replaced the front pads on the Pathy. Used EBC GreenStuff. What a difference!

Drizit
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Drizit »

Adam wrote:Mmm green crusties. Is that a Chrysler thing or was that truck poorly maintained?

This weekend I replaced the front pads on the Pathy. Used EBC GreenStuff. What a difference!
Really? Never noticed a huge difference on the jeep.

The truck has about 450k on it and who knows how may hours idling so I can't say I'm surprised. It also has some really poor wire routing. Now the entire engine was pulled at one point for a short block replacement, and the rest of the front end was replaced in 2004 for a moose strike so I've no idea if that's the factory routing or someone's **I have a filthy mouth, pass the soap** but basically that wire was rubbing on the air outlet pipe from the turbo.