Help decide whether to buy this 99 Pathfinder

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
john.ddd
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissian Pathfinder
Year: 1999

Post by john.ddd »

Hi,

I am talking with a guy about buying his 99 Pathfinder, 4x4. It has 177,000Kms. He says there are no leaks or accidents, well kept overall. He's done a bit of amateur work on the rust above the wheels.

The Pathfinder looks good overall and he says I won't have trouble with it for some years. He says he just put $1000 into it for front axil and struts plus a wheel alignment.

Overall I want a second opinion, I hope some of you can help...

Here are some pictures too, 3 of 4 tires look good. The headlights look a little faded, dunno. I'm not a car guy. Also, I tried to get some pictures of underneath the pathfinder, I'd really like to hear about if you think the body is very rusty underneath. Thanks

The price would be 2800 as is, and probably 3100 to 3500 with safety. He is willing to safety.

Just click on this link. It is a public view of the pictures stored on my cloud drive.
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7 ... =folder%2c
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Re: Help decide whether to buy this 99 Pathfinder

Post by Scotto »

Looks in great shape. I might ask about the timing belt, and when it was done. I think it's every 100,000Km or so, so you might find that needs to be done sooner than later, and it's not a cheap job. Someone will likely correct me on the mileage on when it's supposed to be done... Might be every 130,000.

Scott
john.ddd

Post by john.ddd »

Geoff, thanks for the tip. I just texted him about the timing belt and he has not had it done. The car is at 177K and he's had it for the last 90,000. So that could be an issue. I think I will arrange to get it looked at by a Nissan dealership.
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

My name is actually Scott. The idiots who run this board call me Geoffrey because I'm taller than them. (They are midgets). Geoffrey the giraffe was the mascot for ToysRUs. Like I said the board guys are asshats.

Glad the advice worked. The engines in our Nissans are interference valves. So when the timing belt goes all the valves bend.

Sent from my iThingy.
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Cost of timing belt with the additional stuff is about a grand. If you spend 20 bucks and become a premium member you can go to Milton Nissan and get 15% off the cost.

Sent from my iThingy.
Pezzy
Make/Model: Ford F150
Year: 2018
Tim's: Steeped Tea, 1/2 Sugar

Post by Pezzy »

Looks like it's in decent shape, the rust spots are typical. There is a recall on this model pathy - some got hit bad with the rust bug on the driver side inner wheel well. (see below) I wouldn't let that stop you from getting one if it's clean... just be aware.

I would also be a bit afraid of what rust might lurk behind those fender flares...

More info:
Summary: Nissan is recalling certain model year 1996-2004 Pathfinder and model year 1997-2003 infiniti QX4 vehicles originally sold, or currently registered in, Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington D.C., West Virginia and Wisconsin. In areas of the country in which heavy concentrations of road salt are used, a mixture of snow/water and salt may enter an assembly location hole in the upper strut housing, causing water to collect at the mating surface of the strut housing panel and the inner hood ledge assembly. Over time, this snow/water and salt intrusion may result in corrosion of the strut tower housing in some subject vehicles.

Consequence: The strut housing may crack and pull away from the inner hood ledge assembly. This may lead to grinding noises, increased steering effort, and possibly the steering column to break, resulting in the loss of steering control, which could result in a crash.
I my PATHFInDERs.
R.I.P. 99.5 Green Machine :cry:
Pezzy
Make/Model: Ford F150
Year: 2018
Tim's: Steeped Tea, 1/2 Sugar

Post by Pezzy »

btw, it's a 99.5 pathfinder you have there. :) yeah that's right... My old one was a 99.5.
I my PATHFInDERs.
R.I.P. 99.5 Green Machine :cry:
john.ddd

Post by john.ddd »

Thanks!

I'll show them the text of that recall before the bumper to bumper inspection at the local Nissan. We've agreed to do that before any sale goes through.

So if the timing belt is on its last legs do you guys suggest I don't buy the car. It would be $2800 as is, post inspection, plus tax on the wholesale value of the car at service ontario, plus safety.

99 pathfinder 176K kms to refresh your memories.
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

I'd still go thru with the buy if the timing belt needs to be done. Price is good. Just do what Pezzy says or she will make you go running and stuff.

Sent from my iThingy.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined you can just do the timing belt yourself.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Geoffrey wrote:Just do what Pezzy says or she will make you go running and stuff.
Or Burpees
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

Welcome to the club. Professional inspection and the timing belt is sound advice.
Geoffrey wrote:My name is actually Scott. The idiots who run this board call me Geoffrey because I'm taller than them. (They are midgets). Geoffrey the giraffe was the mascot for ToysRUs. Like I said the board guys are asshats.
Very true, Mr Leaf Eater.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
petespath
Farmer
Farmer
Make/Model: Hyundai Elantra
Year: 2009
Tim's: Wish I had a Nissan

Post by petespath »

ask to see the receipts of the work he says he did. don't trust him. price seems high. low ball and see what he says.
this safety check of $3500 seems real sketchy to me. what the fark is he going to do for 700 bucks.
john.ddd

Post by john.ddd »

that's what i was thinking too. he tells me he will do the safety at his mechanic, "a very reputable" place in his words. I google street viewed it, it looks like some dive. and then he said it works out for him because they will give him a loner car while they get "the work done"... even though his ad says it is in great shape. why would u need a loner then if its so wonderful?

anyway, he didn't get back to me today so we'll see. i gave him the option of $2800 as is, post Nissan dealership inspection. or $3000 safetied. He won't be getting his $3500 ask.

if this falls through then im done with private sales. i bought a mazda tribute in july for $1000, turns out it was totally rotted out underneath. i managed to resell it for 800. best place is my local toyota dealership. we know them well and they have top marks in Ontario. they usually have their own older vehicles coming back in for trades (upgrades). they have a side lot where they park them. toyota or honda is best. im a little disappointed in nissan since researching this vehicle...they really rust.
petespath
Farmer
Farmer
Make/Model: Hyundai Elantra
Year: 2009
Tim's: Wish I had a Nissan

Post by petespath »

a wise man once said " sometimes the cheapest price is not the best price"
john.ddd

Post by john.ddd »

update: NO DEAL!!

prick wants 3500. prob been stringing me along the whole time knowing he would only take 3500. im done with private sales and im done with nissan