GPS for laptop

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

GPS for laptop

Post by Miner »

Anyone with any experience using a GPS receiver with a laptop?

My laptop has MapPoint North America 2006, which is capable of accepting GPS positioning information, and I was looking for a USB or Bluetooth device to pair with it. These are some of the options I have found:
The GPS receiver must be NMEA 2.0 Compatible and must output data in NMEA 2.0 or later data format. I think I read that Garmin uses its own format and doesn't support NMEA formats, not 100% sure though.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Re: GPS for laptop

Post by Simon »

I've heard good things about the Delou line of receivers. Personally, I use my PalmOne Bluetooth receiver with my Treo 650 for navigation, but I have used the receiver with my laptop with no issues.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
HolidayNation
Make/Model: Xterra XE stick
Year: 2004
Tim's: 60oz BEER please

Post by HolidayNation »

http://www.devicepedia.com/gps/globalto ... creen.html

I picked up one of these units, although I didn't need the bluetooth antenna, the rest of the package works great. You get the bluetooth antenna and it functions as a heads up speedo and compass. I don't know whether it will suit your techy requirements but should do. It was about $100 bucks and ships out of burlington ( i think). Made it to Cambridge before I did :lol: The red display isn't as good as the green crystals and it takes some mucking around to sort out the visual, but even with polarized sunnys on, I can read my speed. I am happy with it.

Eric
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREYs WITHOUT BATS]- :)
Where's Slawek?........... Crunch?
Aerosols may be depleting the ozone, but warning labels are depleting the gene pool
OF4WD-5557
xcanuk
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2000

Post by xcanuk »

I've been using a Garmin map76 (replaced with 76cs) since 2000, not exactly what you are looking for, but they have been bulletproof and have been used with MS streets and trips flawlessly. Not all Garmins transmit in NMEA, usually the ones with a full street navigation don't, treking ones do. I wouldn't mind a bluetooth version, but I usually display my speed in MPH on the GPS when stateside, I don't run the laptop until I get closer to my destination.
Miner

Post by Miner »

Simon wrote:I've heard good things about the Delou line of receivers. Personally, I use my PalmOne Bluetooth receiver with my Treo 650 for navigation, but I have used the receiver with my laptop with no issues.
I have a Tungsten E that I haven't used in over a year, to bad the info I found on the Palm One says the Tungsten E2 not the E. With the laptop are you able to set the bluetooth connection as a COM port?
HolidayNation wrote:http://www.devicepedia.com/gps/globalto ... creen.html

I picked up one of these units, although I didn't need the bluetooth antenna, the rest of the package works great. You get the bluetooth antenna and it functions as a heads up speedo and compass. I don't know whether it will suit your techy requirements but should do. It was about $100 bucks and ships out of burlington ( i think).

Eric
For 100 bucks that would be cool even if it didn't work with MapPoint. Do you have the details for where you picked it up? And where does it pull power from?

Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Yeah, there's a bluetooth COM port option on most bluetooth chips laptops. I had it on mine.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
HolidayNation
Make/Model: Xterra XE stick
Year: 2004
Tim's: 60oz BEER please

Post by HolidayNation »

http://www.canadagps.com/Gtop_HUD_GPS.html
http://www.gtop-tech.com/index.asp?pid=309

Got mine from canadagps, I see the price is even a little lower now. delivered in 2 days.

it has a rechargeable battery and plugs into a lighter port. I haven't hard wired it yet, but may in the future.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREYs WITHOUT BATS]- :)
Where's Slawek?........... Crunch?
Aerosols may be depleting the ozone, but warning labels are depleting the gene pool
OF4WD-5557
Miner

Post by Miner »

xcanuk wrote:I've been using a Garmin map76 (replaced with 76cs) since 2000, not exactly what you are looking for, but they have been bulletproof and have been used with MS streets and trips flawlessly. Not all Garmins transmit in NMEA, usually the ones with a full street navigation don't, treking ones do. I wouldn't mind a bluetooth version, but I usually display my speed in MPH on the GPS when stateside, I don't run the laptop until I get closer to my destination.

Good info, the Gamin site indicates that the 76cs supported NMEA but the current model 76, 76S, 76Cx and 76Sx don't mention the NMEA output. I'll keep searching the Garmin Site.

Miner

Post by Miner »

HolidayNation wrote:http://www.canadagps.com/Gtop_HUD_GPS.html
http://www.gtop-tech.com/index.asp?pid=309

Got mine from canadagps, I see the price is even a little lower now. delivered in 2 days.

it has a rechargeable battery and plugs into a lighter port. I haven't hard wired it yet, but may in the future.
Receiver Configuration

* Baud Rate:
4800/9600/14400/19200/38400/57600/115200 bps
* Output Message: NMEA 0183 v3.01(Default: GGA,

We may have a winner!

X-Treme
Make/Model: Xterra - Offroad
Year: 2005

Post by X-Treme »

Garmin gives away software called 'nRoute' for your laptop that works with their various GPS units and sensors.

nRoute gives you the same type of navigation services that are built into their GPS units including voice prompts for navigation. You still have to buy maps as I believe nRoute only comes with the basic base maps.
Watch it! I'm keeping my eye on you.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I like both Streets and Trips 08 and iGuidance 4. S&T is great for it's Points Of Interests, while iGuidance has a very quick and efficient interface. As well it's verbal and visual directions are just awesome. The only thing with iG is that it likes to plot on side/dirt roads on it's default and quickest route setups, not a problem tho is you have a truck. If that happened in the Mx-3 i'd curse.

I have the S&T receiver and that works well. You can get GPS receivers for as cheap as $30-$40 (look on eBay). The one I used on my first CarPC was a Holux GM-210, and they work almost just as good. The newer ones can track more sattelites for more accuracy and have a quicker cold start time.

I used to use Mappoint in 04-06 until it got outdated. I even bought a license for an add-in software (since MapPoint supports plug-ins) for Voice Navigation since that was literally the only thing available at the time in 04. It was called AGPS
http://www.techgt.com/AGPS/main.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've give you my license key to try it but I can't seem to find it...I don't know if i threw it out when I was cleaning my file cabinet out back in spring :x!

The only thing you really need to make sure with a USB GPS is that the driver emulates a COM port. My very first one I had to send back because it didn't do it so it was useless, and i couldn't find a pirated version of a 3rd party COM-port emulation software, and buying it wasn't cheap, so it wasn't worth it.
Miner

Post by Miner »

No worries about the license key, the GPS pane in MP2006 has buttons to turn voice directions on and off so it should be good.

Thanks for the info, I'll probably pick one of these option up after I get back from vacation. :thumbup:

xcanuk
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2000

Post by xcanuk »

There is one thing I have yet to check, my cell phone is a motorola i580 (Telis/Mike), its bluetooth and I can set GPS NMEA output. Since I'm not using "their" software, the use should be free, but I'm not sure if the phone with only transmit a single position, or a consistant moving position to my laptop.