West Coast B2600i is crashin the party

Welcome to CNTC. Please check in here before posting!
PiDGE
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: not my real name

Re: West Coast B2600i is crashin the party

Post by PiDGE »

Welcome :) Nice Mazdog. Cool trucks, I like em! Thank God I thought it was Dr.Dre from the post heading..phew lol.
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies
Pantharen
Make/Model: Mazda B2600i 4x4[x2]
Year: 90/93
Tim's: Dont drink Tim Horribles

Post by Pantharen »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
Ya the 83-93 Rangers are rebadged Mazda pickup trucks, and even previous to the Ranger, the Courier, was made by Mazda, basically a piston-powered, Ford-badged Repu.

WRONG.. 1961 was the first truck built by Mazda, and the Ford Courier was built to compete with the B1500 BY MAZDA for FORD.., the second Generation of trucks were Built starting in 1972,The Courier was manufactured by Toyo Kogyo (Mazda), and imported and sold by Ford Motor Company as a response to the unforeseen popularity of the small Toyota and Nissan/Datsun pickups among young buyers in the West.
Nd4SpdSe wrote: Ford came to Mazda not as a bail-out for Ford, but to bail-out Mazda in the 60's, and also get into the Japan market. They invest and worked with Mazda in the 80's and more help for Mazda back in 97.
BusinessWeek explained the alliance between Ford and Mazda has been a very successful one, with Mazda saving perhaps $90 million a year in development costs and Ford "several times" that,
This was a time when Ford was expending and has their hands in owning many companies like Jaguar, Aston Martin, Volvo and Land Rover
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1e395516-b54e ... z37ehQioDu
Ford sells Mazda stake to raise $540m
By Jonathan Soble in Tokyo
Ford Motor is to raise about $540m in desperately needed cash by selling 20 per cent of Mazda, its long-time Japanese affiliate and manufacturing partner.

The Mazda sale represents close to two-thirds of Ford’s 33.4 per cent stake, an interest it had built up over three decades, beginning in 1979.
Mazda said it would buy back 7 per cent of its stock from Ford, while a group of more than 20 companies with ties to the Japanese motor group would buy the rest.
Pantharen wrote:Ford felt it was in their best interest to steal the "Eco-Boost" technology from Mazda, and release it a year prior to Mazda's release date..
I'm not sure what you mean by this? Mazda has nothing currently related to Ford's Eco-Boost except that it seems that the Focus ST may be a 2.0L version of the discontinued MazdaSpeed3's 2.3L. A new MazdaSpeed3 is on hold, but it may be to work to align the motor with the efficiency of their SkyActiv tech, but we'll see; the problem is you can`t slap a turbo on a 13/14:1 compression motor. The Miata, also using the to-be-retired MZR, has a new model which is anxiouly being awaited, especially to see what kind of motor it'll have. They have power and fuel efficiency goals, but the teaser video out this week seems to have the sound of a turbo in whatever they're using, but it may or may not be part of them working with Fiat/Alfa-Romeo to share it's platform. For all we know it would be the Abarth 1.4 in there...A test mule was seen with that combo a few months back, but it`s assumed that it`s the Fiat version with just a hacked up current gen Miata body on it.
The Ford Motor Company owns rights to build and use the MZR generation of engines under their Duratec brand name for global service in its vehicles since 2003.

As of 2011, Mazda discontinued development of the MZR generation of engines to be replaced by their new SkyActiv generation of engines. Ford continues to develop and manufacture variants of the Z-engine and L-engine for their Duratec and EcoBoost four-cylinder engines. The 3rd generation MX-5 is still produced with the MZR 1.8 or 2.0 engine, which may be shipped from the factory with a Ford Motor Company oil filter fitted, suggesting a shared production line.
As of 2010, Ford is introducing a GDI turbo variant of the Mazda LF engine design as the EcoBoost 2.0L. They have developed their own manifold and engine control systems for use with the direct-injected, turbocharged EcoBoost.
Mazda's SkyActiv direction as far as I know and see, is their own, and actually doesn't believe in using hybrid tech or going small displacement+turbo for increasing fuel efficiency.[/quote]

http://www.examiner.com/article/is-ford ... a-disguise
announced Tuesday that it will offer a four-cylinder EcoBoost engine for some of its vehicles starting next year, an effort to provide greater fuel economy to consumers without compromising on horsepower.

At a showcase of the company's 2010 model lineup, Barb Samardzich, Ford's vice president for global powertrain engineering, said the I-4 EcoBoost two-liter, four-cylinder engine will make a vehicle perform like one carrying a six-cylinder engine.

The specifications provided by Ford: a 2-liter, four cylinder engine with twin overhead cams, variable valve timing, direct gasoline injection (DGI), and turbocharging all sound an awful lot like Mazda's MZR engine as installed in the Mazdaspeed3, among others. Compare the output of the 2.3-liter MZR engine from the Mazdaspeed 3 (officially the MZR L3-VDT) which produces 263 HP and 280 lb-ft of torque compared to the smaller 2.0 liter Ford engine's announced 230 HP and 240 lb-ft of torque, the performance of the two is very much in line with their relative displacements.

The Mazda MZR L3-VDT was on automotive industry trade publication Ward's 10 Best Engines list for the years 2006, 2007 and 2008.

Other Mazda engines have been rebadged and used in Ford vehicle in the past, most recently under the Duratec name from 2001 on.

Ford announced last November that it would be selling part of its 20% stake in Mazda bringing, its share to 13.4%, and the process surrender majority control of the company. The following day Mazda announced that it was purchasing back 6.8% of its shares from Ford.

We'll know more when further specifications of the Ford EcoBoost four cylinder are released.
OOPS... Do I know more about Mazda than you do.. it sure looks that way...
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Pantharen wrote:WRONG.. 1961 was the first truck built by Mazda, and the Ford Courier was built to compete with the B1500 BY MAZDA for FORD.., the second Generation of trucks were Built starting in 1972,The Courier was manufactured by Toyo Kogyo (Mazda), and imported and sold by Ford Motor Company as a response to the unforeseen popularity of the small Toyota and Nissan/Datsun pickups among young buyers in the West.
Wait, what? You're pretty much confirming what I said, that the Courier was a rebadged Mazda. Sorry I didn't list all the details dating back to 1971, It was just some simple information. The Repu info was added for those that know about Mazda's rare and sought after rotary pickup had a piston cousin on the Ford side in the heritage of the Ranger/Mazda B-series, that's it. You're adding details, but nothing contradicting on what I said.
Pantharen wrote: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1e395516-b54e ... z37ehQioDu
Ford sells Mazda stake to raise $540m
By Jonathan Soble in Tokyo
Ford Motor is to raise about $540m in desperately needed cash by selling 20 per cent of Mazda, its long-time Japanese affiliate and manufacturing partner.

The Mazda sale represents close to two-thirds of Ford’s 33.4 per cent stake, an interest it had built up over three decades, beginning in 1979.
Mazda said it would buy back 7 per cent of its stock from Ford, while a group of more than 20 companies with ties to the Japanese motor group would buy the rest.
Ya, again. It confirms on what I said, that Ford sold off it's shared in wake to survive. Mazda did have financial issues in the 60's, and they were partnered with Ford at the time. A slight correction that Ford gave Mazda financial aid by buyin shares in '79, but Ford implication with Mazda did start before that.

Pantharen wrote:http://www.examiner.com/article/is-ford ... a-disguise

announced Tuesday that it will offer a four-cylinder EcoBoost engine for some of its vehicles starting next year, an effort to provide greater fuel economy to consumers without compromising on horsepower.

At a showcase of the company's 2010 model lineup, Barb Samardzich, Ford's vice president for global powertrain engineering, said the I-4 EcoBoost two-liter, four-cylinder engine will make a vehicle perform like one carrying a six-cylinder engine.

The specifications provided by Ford: a 2-liter, four cylinder engine with twin overhead cams, variable valve timing, direct gasoline injection (DGI), and turbocharging all sound an awful lot like Mazda's MZR engine as installed in the Mazdaspeed3, among others. Compare the output of the 2.3-liter MZR engine from the Mazdaspeed 3 (officially the MZR L3-VDT) which produces 263 HP and 280 lb-ft of torque compared to the smaller 2.0 liter Ford engine's announced 230 HP and 240 lb-ft of torque, the performance of the two is very much in line with their relative displacements.

The Mazda MZR L3-VDT was on automotive industry trade publication Ward's 10 Best Engines list for the years 2006, 2007 and 2008.

Other Mazda engines have been rebadged and used in Ford vehicle in the past, most recently under the Duratec name from 2001 on.
Ya, nothing new here that I didn't mention. Their engine is a rebadged, smaller displacement MazdaSpeed3 motor. You'll find Mazda's MZR, also known as a Duratec in the Focus and Fusion as well. This goes back to 2004, and to requote you:

Pantharen wrote: Ford felt it was in their best interest to steal the "Eco-Boost" technology from Mazda, and release it a year prior to Mazda's release date..
Wrong! The MZR/Duratec20-23-25 was co developed by Mazda and Ford (Mazda design, Ford backing) since the early 2000's. Ford came out with nothing that they stole from Mazda before Mazda did...Mazda is abandoning the MZR motors for their SkyActiv drivetrain....but maybe because Ford has the rights to the motor is why there isn't a current MazdaSpeed3, or maybe it's because they want to make a SkyActiv-based one (they have used the same 2.3 in their Speed3 for 2 generations now), but there's no information confirming or denying why and what direction; it's all just speculation for the moment.

I'm here to prove nothing and have claimed nothing, I just made corrections for your post. Other than a minor correction, you've not contradicted anything of what I've said to prove me wrong, on the other hand, just reconfirmed some of that information. You're false arrogance isn't adding to the situation either.....
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
SlaveX
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2002
Tim's: Stupped DD Tea

Post by SlaveX »

Crashin the party eh? I see what you mean now, glad I don't care what you drive and if russians or eskimo built it. :bored:

:welcome:
John Wayne wrote:
"Life is hard, it's (even) harder if you're stupid."
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Getting more popcorn as I wait for the conversation to grow!
Pantharen

Post by Pantharen »

Geoffrey wrote:Getting more popcorn as I wait for the conversation to grow!
I've said my piece.. He wants to believe his BS, then that is fine by me. I happen to know a lot more about Mazda trucks than he does, and he wants to assume they're Ford Rangers, then by all means he's allowed the right..

I am older, and wiser, and less inclined to get annoyed over petty garbage..

and I have a movie theater style popcorn maker... it makes 2lbs of popcorn in one go Image
Pantharen

Post by Pantharen »

SlaveX wrote:Crashin the party eh? I see what you mean now, glad I don't care what you drive and if russians or eskimo built it. :bored:

:welcome:
The russians built this: Tatra 816 and I want one
Engine
Diesel naturally aspirated or turbocharged

Tatra (Air-cooled)
V8
Transmission
Tatra
10 speed manual(10TS180)
auxiliary two-speed
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Pantharen wrote:he wants to assume they're Ford Rangers
I'm not assuming anything....Mazda did switch to rebadging the Ford built Rangers in 94, and I thought prior that they were still rebadging the Mazda's, but apparently Ford and Mazda were on their own for 83-93....with the exception that but during this time Mazda did get rebadged for the International market Ford Courier.
Ford began development of the Ranger in 1976, focusing on quality and fuel efficiency
1983 Ranger production began January 18, 1982 at the Louisville Assembly Plant,
The Mazda's still being made at the plant in Hiroshima, Japan. Probably the same Mazda chassis anyway. But there's a difference between "built/made by" and "designed-by", or built side-by-side like Ford & Mazda at their Flat Rock Plant

So while your Mazda pickup is a Mazda, a Ford Ranger of the same generation is a Ford, not a Mazda.
For the 1994 model year, to save costs related to the chicken tax, Mazda introduced a badge engineered version of the Ford Ranger, produced at Ford's Twin Cities Assembly Plant in Minnesota
Oh, I'm all pro-Mazda, but I give credit where credit is due, and I can't call it something that's it's not...
SlaveX
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SlaveX »

Pantharen wrote:
The russians built this: Tatra 816 and I want one...
YA, I know what Russians built, I had a chance to drive one of their masterpieces for several years.

Just like this one:

;)
John Wayne wrote:
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Now that is funny, Mr SlaveX!

Sent from my iThingy.
Pantharen

Post by Pantharen »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Oh, I'm all pro-Mazda, but I give credit where credit is due, and I can't call it something that's it's not...
I know my Classic Mazda's hell, I have owned enough of them... 20+ B2200's, 11 Mpv's from 90 to 98, only 2 were 2WD, 9 B2600i's, and 5 Cars, and a 01 Kia Sportage (aka Mazda Bongo) & a 04 Kia Rio RS (aka Mazda 3) I have been a member of the 2 best (classic) B series truck forums for more than 10 years..

ALL of my Mazda's have all been proudly made in Japan.

just wait until you have to defend the Nissan trucks from the Diesel Titans, running that Chrysler Cummins V8.. then you'll understand the passion we Mazda owners have for the classic Japanese built trucks..
Miner
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

Sorry, what does Chrysler have to do with Cummins? They are not a primary shareholder - http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=CMI+Major+Holders; they are a customer, one of thousands including Ford, Volvo, Komatsu, Ram, PACCAR, MAN...

I like my American made Titan, hopefully the next generation with the Cummins is successful. If not I may just buy the Cummins in a Tundra.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
Morpheus
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

:moderatorhat: on

Is this conversation still going down hill, or has it turned a corner yet?

:moderatorhat: off
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Toyota Land Cruiser
Year: 7891
Tim's: 1/2 hot choc. 1/2 coffee

Post by CruiserRomey »

"can't we all just get along?!". . . says the toyota guy. :)

wheelin minivans eh Pantharen?! awesome! ever hang out over at the delica.ca forum out in BC? tonnes of good blokes out there too. i have a jdm mitsu l400 delica. :p

it's great that we're all passionate about our own rigs and brands. i think we can all agree that they just don't make them like they used to anymore!! was just in las vegas and saw some sweet 80's datsun pickups. love those!

cheers.
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Hey guys. I was just wondering what sized tires would fit on my mildly lifted Xterra. I heard on another forum I can fit 35s. Is this true? Also I wanted to learn more about what CB to buy. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iThingy.
PiDGE

Post by PiDGE »

Would unlike a boat paddle to stir that pot Scott? ;) I think we can all agree that all three Jap. Truck company's have nothing on a Lada Niva. Now that's some fine equipment ;)
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

We`ll it`s cool to see you`re quite hardcore into Mazda`s. I haven`t owned even close to that many, but the number of cars someone owns doesn`t determine if they`re an expert. Don`t take this personally, this isn`t a comment against you or for me, I`m just saying, cause I know people to change their cars more their their underwear and they`re not necessarilly good with vehicles either.

I'm pro Mazda because I love their cars, how they drive and feel, their DNA and even just the mentality of their company and the direction and the technology that they use, even moreso for the all obscure stuff they do and that work well. Also for their backing in motorsports, especially in grassroot competitions.

Myself, my parents first import was a `90 626 that I learned to drive on, and so did my sister. It eventually became my winter car, but it was my influence on why I bought my first car as a Mazda. It was in the family for 10 years and was ultra reliable with very minimal repairs over it`s life. My first car was a `92 Mx-3, totally stock, and wasn`t at all aware of what could of been done with the car for mods. A year later, it`s 130hp 1.8 V6 was swapped out for a 200hp 2.5 from Japan. The car was a DD, but turned into a project show and race car and stored for the winter once it was repainted. I've spend many weekends at the strip and autocrossing it, but still was able to proudly bring home trophies at shows, including a first place a ImportFest, Canada's Biggest & Baddest Car & Lifestyle Show, as they call it. I had her for 9 years until she was parted out and I`m currently the owner of a `04 RX-8 for going on 4 years in fall (the Xterra was 6 years in spring). She has minimal mods for the moment, but she's mint, never winter driven, so there`s plenty of time for that, and it`s the truck that needs the TLC and benefits from the mods more since she`s used year round. Many Mazda enthousiasts are even affraid of owning a rotary....

With that, I`ve been part of Mx-3.com for 12 years and hold the most posts (and the only one) with over 10k on those boards. I also ran the Toronto/Ontario club for a few years and organised and been part of many events, Mx3s, Mazdas and mixed. I have a few close contacts within Mazda Canada because of my involvement with the Mazda community over the years. I was personally invited to a closed/press test event that allowed me to test drive a Mx5, Rx8, Speed3 and Speed6, and their MazdaSpeed tuned versions to showcase their MazdaSpeed upgrades and to compare them. I`ve test drove the Mazda6 diesel that`s not even out yet. Although I missed this year because of a wedding, I was there for the first 3 years at Mazda`s involvement at Mosport for the ALMS/Sportsman weekend, to which me and the girlfriend rode in a Speed3 for the opening pace lap for the start of the official ALMS race last year. And I have a huge ass Mazda flag, that was only available for the dealerships.

It`s not necessarilly on what we buy and drive, but what we do...

I didn`t get an Rx-8 because it was a Mazda, I got it beause I loved the car and how it feels. A 350z/g35 and even the Impreza was on my short list, even the Miata but it was too girly for me. I was also looking at 323 GTX/GTR`s and Rx-7`s, but Mazda`s have the little je-ne-sais-quoi that I feel and connect with when I sit and drive them. But if one day they change their formula, for what they do right, and they become boring, I wouldn`t hesitate to stray away; my passion for Mazda isn`t blind.

Ya, I own a Nissan too. I`m really for the Japanese manufactures for how their built, how they feel, both driving and working on them, and I don`t care if they`re built in the US, Canada, Japan or Mexico, as long as their quality is there. Mazda offered nothing really in the truck department that interested me. I was looking at Ranger FX4`s, and Tacomas, and B4000s, but it was the Nissan that gave me what I was looking for in a truck, for function, potential and feel, and that I didn`t need a pickup, where the SUV body for me is much more functional. I might also be in the market for a commuter car, and for the fuel economy, it`ll probably be a Honda, maybe a Toyota for the years/price I want to pay, but Mazda was never strong in this dept until now. Each company delivers diferent products, and not one manufacturer can deliver everything that everyone is looking for; but it`s nice to have the variety to choose from.
Last edited by Nd4SpdSe on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PiDGE

Post by PiDGE »

Nicely said Nd4SpdSe.
SlaveX
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SlaveX »

^ :thumbup:
John Wayne wrote:
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

I was wondering when Mike would let on he has some previous knowledge of Mazda. Eloquently written young man.

Sent from my iThingy.