OBD2 0430 code

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
PiDGE
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: not my real name

OBD2 0430 code

Post by PiDGE »

Hey guys and gals. For some time now I've been getting this 0430 code. Before I tear into replacing a cat is there a way to tell if my o2 sensors are good without removing them from the truck? I looked at them and I expect them to put up a fight trying to get them out. I do have a multi meter, but dont know what kind of signal or voltage I should be looking for. Anyone? I looked at this website for some awnswers http://www.obd-codes.com/p0430 Im 99% sure Ive got no exhaust leak. I did, but fixed that some time ago and this code was happening before that and still going. I've tryed to download the FSM, but maybe im doing somethig wrong cause it takes forever to download. Any help? :?
Edit, got the manual. Membership has its privlages!!!
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies
Bender
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Nissan Sentra SER
Year: 2011
Tim's: Mcdonalds coffee

Re: OBD2 0430 code

Post by Bender »

If you had a leak the computer and you sensors would try to compensate. I've only seen true readings through Nissan issued crap that reads these things properly. The at home DIY'er can only try to read codes, try their best to correct the issue then reset codes and see. Sometimes it takes more, like looking down through the exhaust tube directly at the cats to see if they are plugged or totally disintegrated.
medic
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Grand Cherokee
Year: 2014

Post by medic »

I had the same thing recently (well P0420).

The problem for me was 100% the O2 sensors, they were completly shot.

It took me over 5-6 hours to remove them as they were fused into place. After a lot of muscle and a torch, they were finally removed. Once out, it looked as it they had been dipped in a volcano. The ends were completely burnt out and pretty much non-functional

Not mine but this is what they looked like. The "cage" around the tip was also blasted through and disintegrating.

After changing them both, the SES light went out. About two/three tanks later, my fuel efficiency went way up. From about 20 L/100km to 13+L/100km
PiDGE
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: not my real name

Post by PiDGE »

Yeah Bender thats what I figured. Ive got a CrappyTire reader and the process goes, read it, erase it. I realize Nissan techs have a better system. For now I'll try and do the swap with a new one and if im lucky I'l be able to see into the bung. Medic I dont doubt mine is gonna be the same in terms of fused in. Now that you mention it to after reading your post again I've got some..mot alot of black carbon crap at the tip. If its there I wonder how those o2's look. Thanks guys for the advice and hope my milage gets better after trying to swap this out. I'll post up what I find out. Thanks.
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies