What did you do to your rig today?

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
avacado
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Frontier SE Crew
Year: 2004
Tim's: XL 2x2

Re: What did you do to your rig today?

Post by avacado »

Rear shocks done, on to the fronts now.
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

Fronts can be tricky.
Rev
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Year: 2008
Tim's: Hot chocolate

Post by Rev »

New CB radio installed for AW! Getting excited!
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

Morpheus wrote:Removed EGR trying to chase a running rich gremlin. Surprisingly clean for 200.000km. Egr tested fine, was looking for carbon buildup holding the egr open when its supposed to be closed. Didnt find what i thought i would.

Sent from the centre of my universe using Tapatalk
Out of curiosity, how are the ground wires on your motor? I've read in a few places that when these get dirty, the ECU can do all kinds of silly things.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
medic
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Grand Cherokee
Year: 2014

Post by medic »

1.) replaced the high pressure AC line - and recharged the system
2.) installed rear facing lights under the crossbar (fun)
3.) a wee bit of trimming to the "air box" behind the glove box so I could install a Fram off the shelf in-cab filter. $16 and some duct tape!
4.) Castrol Super Cleaned the engine bay (had to get rid of all the dye from the AC refrigerent)
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

Jayman wrote:
Morpheus wrote:Removed EGR trying to chase a running rich gremlin. Surprisingly clean for 200.000km. Egr tested fine, was looking for carbon buildup holding the egr open when its supposed to be closed. Didnt find what i thought i would.

Out of curiosity, how are the ground wires on your motor? I've read in a few places that when these get dirty, the ECU can do all kinds of silly things.
It was running fine pre-header install, removing the cats have caused the mixture to go crazy, way out of whack. The guys and I have been working on a way to make it work properly again short of having the ECM reflashed with custom programming.
Unfortunately it involved a lot of trial and error.

(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
avacado
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by avacado »

Front shocks done, one of the sway-aways installed, still fighting with the other side. The splines are completely seized on the back end. Looks like it may come down to zipping the old t-bar out with a grinder and buying a new adjuster.
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

avacado wrote:Front shocks done, one of the sway-aways installed, still fighting with the other side. The splines are completely seized on the back end. Looks like it may come down to zipping the old t-bar out with a grinder and buying a new adjuster.
Heat it, then get a drift pin, insert it into the back side of the adjuster so that it's sitting against the end of the tbar and pound the ever loving **** out of it with a BFH from the back side...

Trust me, it will come out if you keep at it. Apply PB Blaster liberally as well.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
kremit
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Xterra PRO-4X
Year: 2011
Tim's: coffee

Post by kremit »

Jayman wrote:
avacado wrote:Front shocks done, one of the sway-aways installed, still fighting with the other side. The splines are completely seized on the back end. Looks like it may come down to zipping the old t-bar out with a grinder and buying a new adjuster.
Heat it, then get a drift pin, insert it into the back side of the adjuster so that it's sitting against the end of the tbar and pound the ever loving **** out of it with a BFH from the back side...

Trust me, it will come out if you keep at it. Apply PB Blaster liberally as well.
An application of heat & BFH was tried, but after a long battle, everyone gave up for the moment and went with an application of beer instead... :teeth:

You can't always do right, but you can always do what's left.
kremit
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kremit »

More pics of what Ted et al did to his rig yesterday can be found here:

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg19 ... nch%20Day/

There are far worse ways to spend an afternoon... :thumbup:
avacado
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by avacado »

Jayman wrote: Heat it, then get a drift pin, insert it into the back side of the adjuster so that it's sitting against the end of the tbar and pound the ever loving **** out of it with a BFH from the back side...

Yeah, we wailed on it from the front and the back, through the adjuster... nothing. It didn't budge even a milimetre. In the interest of my sanity, I'm pretty convinced that the best solution is to just cut the damned thing out. There's still lots of work to be done on other things.....
agentorange
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Jeep YJ
Year: 1987
Tim's: That depends

Post by agentorange »

:cool: Cool you all live close enough to spend a day wrenching together. Looks like a fun day.
A bad day wheeling is always better than a good day at the office...
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

In the past few days I changed my radiator, thermostat, and some really hard to get to coolant hoses. And the timing belt, for the second time.

I opted to put in the hotter of the 2 thermostats I could find for the vg engine, hoping it won't overheat the truck in the warm weather though.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 4
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Jayman wrote:

We needed a real set of acetylene torches instead of my little MPS kit. It did however remove one of the tbar mounting nuts and one of the flanges that were froze - but those were easy to get at. The cross member restricts access to a point.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

Bow_Tied wrote:
We needed a real set of acetylene torches instead of my little MPS kit. It did however remove one of the tbar mounting nuts and one of the flanges that were froze - but those were easy to get at. The cross member restricts access to a point.

Well, the set-up you were using is a step ahead of my little propane torch, but it never seems to fail me when I need it. The other thing I was going to suggest was an air hammer, so long as you gan get a bit long enough to go through the back side of the adjuster.

Bottom line is that the Tbars can be a serious b*tch to get out...

Good luck guys!
Nismojunky
Make/Model: Nissan Titan
Year: 2006
Tim's: Double cream

Post by Nismojunky »

pulled it out of the ditch last time I lend my truck out
kremit
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kremit »

agentorange wrote::cool: Cool you all live close enough to spend a day wrenching together. Looks like a fun day.
We are blessed with a good bunch of people in geographical proximity, for sure - and some good ones that live too far away as well... ;)
kremit
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kremit »

avacado wrote:Yeah, we wailed on it from the front and the back, through the adjuster... nothing. It didn't budge even a milimetre. In the interest of my sanity, I'm pretty convinced that the best solution is to just cut the damned thing out. There's still lots of work to be done on other things.....
Videographic evidence...

Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 4
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Jayman wrote:
Bow_Tied wrote:

Well, the set-up you were using is a step ahead of my little propane torch, but it never seems to fail me when I need it. The other thing I was going to suggest was an air hammer, so long as you gan get a bit long enough to go through the back side of the adjuster.

Bottom line is that the Tbars can be a serious b*tch to get out...

Good luck guys!
We had an air hammer. But tried it before heating. It was causing damage to the adjuster. I think we should have heated it red hot. Perhaps my inexperience with tbars. It's a b*tch to get the torch head around the cross member.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Spider 007
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Jeep YJ
Year: 1991
Tim's: Soup & a Sandwich!

Post by Spider 007 »

Last time we did that, we just pulled the cross member out of the truck with the ajusters and T-bars still attached and it made it much easier to work with...
To lift, or not to lift? What a stupid question...