Good place to buy tires

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Nismojunky
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Titan
Year: 2006
Tim's: Double cream

Good place to buy tires

Post by Nismojunky »

looking for some 315/70/r17 firestone destination MT's any one know a place that has them cheap cheapest place ive found in 355 taxs in and installed
thegoodstink
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Xterra 4x4 SE
Year: 2004
Tim's: Double Double

Re: Good place to buy tires

Post by thegoodstink »

Your best bet for cheap, is to go to the states. Some friends of mine have done this, and saved a small fortune. Unless you have a tire shop you go to frequently, your not likely going to get a deal. I have found that most tire shops are roughly the same. That all being said, Cheap Thrills in Milton is usually very good.
04 Xterra 4x4 with added junk
12 Lancer GT
13 Kawasaki KLX250s
95 323 neo RallyX car
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

I looked them up for you, MSRP on those tires are $612 each tire.

I can discount that to $385 for the tire, plus install/balance and tire disposal would come to about $1665+tax.

Let me know if I'm in the ballpark of any other quotes you get.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Nismojunky

Post by Nismojunky »

1420 installed that's with taxs included so I guess I'm going to hilla
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

Thats even below my cost, so whomever is selling those must get some kind of volume discount, or could be importing them directly from the usa (I know some tire places ship complete truckloads up from the states)
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
thegoodstink
Sparkplug
Sparkplug

Post by thegoodstink »

Morpheus wrote:Thats even below my cost, so whomever is selling those must get some kind of volume discount, or could be importing them directly from the usa (I know some tire places ship complete truckloads up from the states)
Yup. Our gov't really hoses us with taxes! :twisted:
12 Lancer GT
13 Kawasaki KLX250s
95 323 neo RallyX car
thegoodstink
Sparkplug
Sparkplug

Post by thegoodstink »

Last summer a friend and I went to buffalo, and he got 5 33" nitto dune grapplers, installed, balanced for 1300 cash. Then we drove home.
12 Lancer GT
13 Kawasaki KLX250s
95 323 neo RallyX car
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Jimmy
Year: 2001

Post by 01R50 »

Cheapest is usually Canadian Tire. I saved $200 on my last set of tires going to CT versus a place where I had a commercial discount (even though I bought $5k worth of tires each year from this place).

But remember if you go to the US you are making sure a Canadian company looses a sale. I could have saved $60 on my heavy duty steel rims going to the US and buying them, but I still went to National4WD in Smiths Falls anyways. It kept the money here in Canada. If you are saving a ton of money (like 40-50%+) I can understand, but I find it pretty sad when some people will drive down there just to save $40.
My 1988 Nissan Hardbody: http://www.cdn-ntc.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 45&p=63250
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
Nismojunky

Post by Nismojunky »

I won't go to the states unless it's 40% or more just not worth the gas
thegoodstink
Sparkplug
Sparkplug

Post by thegoodstink »

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for keeping it in Canada. Just gets rediculous, when you can save 500-600 bucks by driving for an hour each way. Just saying. :shrug:
12 Lancer GT
13 Kawasaki KLX250s
95 323 neo RallyX car
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I have some good friends that own a tire place in Ajax, but him, as well as my cousin, mechanic or anyone I know who can get tires seem to have a hard time getting Destination MT's...seriously, you'll probably have to get them from the States. Rev was the last one that I can think of off hand that bought the Destination MT's, could ask him where he got his and what he paid for them...

http://www.cntc.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... ion#p15339
Dowser
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Nissan Pathfinder
Year: 1995

Post by Dowser »

But remember if you go to the US you are making sure a Canadian company looses a sale. I could have saved $60 on my heavy duty steel rims going to the US and buying them, but I still went to National4WD in Smiths Falls anyways. It kept the money here in Canada. If you are saving a ton of money (like 40-50%+) I can understand, but I find it pretty sad when some people will drive down there just to save $40.
This in my mind is a much more complex issue since none of the products that the Canadian company is selling, (If they are indeed a Canadian OWNED company, many company's are American owned anyway) are products made and produced in the States anyway. The only difference is that once the product comes over the boarder, the government takes its cut, and the company now inflates the price to cover it's costs. The real issue is that the idea of free trade is not really working all that well for Canada. Our Industry model, which is to sell off resources and buy back finished products, is not a really great system for Canadians either leaving us all to the mercy of everyone else to make products for us that we could all be making ourselves in the first place.

We sell off our lumber at a ridiculously low price and they are guaranteed the A grade lumber as first selection where as our Canadian lumber suppliers get whats left over.

We provide them with Oil and its in the paperwork that their needs Must be met before our own so if for some reason they need vast supplies of oil, and Canada's needs aren't met, tough for Canada regardless if it's coming from here.

We sell off Water from our Glaciers, and rivers and other viable water sources at cheap cheap costs only to buy back a bottled product at a HUGE HUGE mark up effectively buying the water we already own in the first place.

We purchase energy from the states while we keep a couple of our generators down in the Niagara area due to high repair costs so better to just keep pay their country for their energy instead of make our own.

The 407 was supposed to be a Pay highway only until it's cost of construction was complete yet after that was finished with was sold off to Switzerland for a 99 year lease without any Cap to what they can charge people who use it.

These are just some of the idiotic short term plans off the top of my head that our Government has come up with when they need to be thinking long term. These issues are way more indepth but you get the point.

So really..... Buying Canadian is a great idea in theory and in practice i fully agree, but if the Government isn't even backing you, you're just going to throw your money away anyway. Perhaps I just have a sore spot about working my ass off for little pay only to be smacked in the face when I try t do the right thing for Canada by our Government.

End of rant.... sorry all.

At any rate, there's a place just over the bridge that gives an additional 10% dicount to Canadian buyers on their already cheap American made tires.

http://www.buffalonytires.com/
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002

Good place to buy tires

Post by Jayman »

Dowser said just about everything I was feeling and then some when it comes to someone giving me a hassle about not buying from a Canadian retailer...

Don't get me wrong, I will support a Canadian company selling Canadian goods, but when we have to work as hard as we do for the money we make, it gets REALLY hard to support them when the GVT mark up gets passed along to us...
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Dowser
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Nissan Pathfinder
Year: 1995

Post by Dowser »

I was just about to come back and delete everything I just typed after a cool down because I didn't want to seem like I'm anti Canadian when in fact I'm ultra pro Canadian. I'm sure my views won't jive with everyone and I didn't want to look like "that guy who sucks on the forum" But what the hell. That's me and if I every get to meet any of you, hopefully you wont have a negative impression of me.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Jayman wrote: Don't get me wrong, I will support a Canadian company selling Canadian goods, but when we have to work as hard as we do for the money we make, it gets REALLY hard to support them when the GVT mark up gets passed along to us...
And this coming from a government employee! :lol:
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Jimmy
Year: 2001

Post by 01R50 »

Dowser wrote:But what the hell. That's me and if I every get to meet any of you, hopefully you wont have a negative impression of me.
lol. Don't worry about it. I didn't get that impression at all. Anyways you have to realize that on the internet, no matter what you say about anything, there will likely be someone out there who will not agree with you or take it the wrong way. Is just how the world turns ;)

Not pointing this at anyone directly: As far as it being the government fault, well that is a yes and no issue for me. Yes they do share some of the blame, but it is also very easy to blame the government for everything. And even if you want to blame the gov for this, that is all fine, you have the right to look at it that way. But how would not supporting a Canadian business and sending your money directly out of country "sticking it" to the gov? Even if it is a forign owned company, that company pays taxes here, employs people here, and spends money here through other ways (transport, local services, etc).

I look at it more from the sense of the business owner. As someone who ran their own business for over ten years, I can tell you that it is not easy out there, no matter what you are into. You can't imagine how many calls I would get per week from people who call and ask for a price and tell me that a competitor offers the "exact same" thing for $3 less! Okay if it were for a product/service that costs $5, yes $3 more is a big difference, but not when it is something that is $200. Even after I specifically tell the customer that my competitor doesn't offer the "exact same" service (as I know he cuts corners and after getting paid doesn't care anymore about the customer) but it doesn't matter. All they see is that they save a whole $3, even though I had been giving them excellent service for years. Then I will cut into my already razor thin profit and lower it down to my competitors price....oh but that is not good enough! It has to be less than his and they "demand" a much better price because they are a "very good client" (which everyone seems to become a good client when they want something more). But I tell them I simply can't go any lower so they basically tell me that I don't know how to run a business and that they will go for the cheaper price.

Naturally next time they need the service, they call me, as they found out that I was telling the truth about my competitor not giving anywhere as good of service as I was giving them. I did a lot of things I didn't need to do, but did it because I like to give the best job I can. But they don't apologize or admit they were wrong and will start again about how they now found another company offering it for a the same price as me and want a discount because.......they are a good client!

Then it came to people paying taxes. Everyone wants to do things "cash". I would tell them that I can't do that, as it is basically stealing from the company (even though I own it), as at the end of the year I can't show all the money I made that way. And the bank wants to see that money on the books (to show that I am making money) when I need to get a loan to buy a piece of equipment as the one I currently have badly needs replacing. I also explain that the money is not mine and that I have to not only make sure I do a proper job collecting all these taxes (if I don't I get huge fines), but it costs me money in time/banking fees to give it to the government. I also have to make sure I pay my loans, employees, fuel, etc. But naturally no one cares, as they only see the bottom line needing to be in their favor.

And that is just the tip of the iceberg. I sold my business last year as I just couldn't take that crap anymore. Business was running well. I always paid all my bills. Had nothing but complements from hundreds of clients. And I could have grown the business even more if I wanted. But dealing with these "other" people every day burnt me out and has given me a very negative outlook on these types of things.

Now that is not the same for every business. There are some out there that make insane amounts of money and sell real crap to people and give crappy service. And we are stuck with them as they are the only ones that have it. But call me naive, I believe the vast majority out there are good companies, and picking them even though they are a bit more expensive is just good business for everyone.

In the end you can do what you want. Is always easy to see businesses just evil as the government, but remember that most are just trying to keep the lights on and paying the employees ;)

Now since we are going waaaay off topic with the past 5 posts or so, I will get us back on topic by saying again that Canadian Tire usually has the best prices. They don't have tons in stock (for the off-road style tires), but will order what you want. National 4WD also has tires that go on special some times and I have seen some really damn cheap. But it is always worth shopping around to make sure.
My 1988 Nissan Hardbody: http://www.cdn-ntc.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 45&p=63250
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002

Good place to buy tires

Post by Jayman »

Simon wrote:
And this coming from a government employee! :lol:
I knew that one was coming... ;)

I would much rather support a Canadian business, as I said.

I also understand that you don't go into business to loose money, there has to be profit for you.

The thing for me has always been that it just pisses me off to pay more for something that I know someone else can get cheaper, that's all.

It's one of the reasons why I try to do as much of my own work on my truck. It's not because I want to screw a Canadian business owner out of money, but because I know I can keep that money in my pocket if I put the work in.

Now, as for the topic at hand, the last time I purchased tires, I got them through a friend who imports tires for friends. He takes a bit of a cut, enough to pay for his own tires, and the fuel it takes to get across the border and bring them back. He does it not as a business, but because there are usually way better deals Stateside, and all of his friends were going across the border to get their tires. He has an import licence, struck up a deal with a wholesaler, and that was it. He saw a need and he filled it.

I even posted up the last time he was doing an order, so that others others could get in on the deal.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
thegoodstink
Sparkplug
Sparkplug

Post by thegoodstink »

Anyone want to talk some religion? Anyone? :apoke:

Ok, seriously, if you can get them at that price, your getting a good deal. I'd jump on that!
12 Lancer GT
13 Kawasaki KLX250s
95 323 neo RallyX car
petespath
Farmer
Farmer
Make/Model: Hyundai Elantra
Year: 2009
Tim's: Wish I had a Nissan

Post by petespath »

big posts...losing concentration... can't focus....................
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

Oh look something shiny!

Some tires are made her (for an american company), shipped stateside where 9anadian retaillers have to buy from. These tires have so much mileage on them that should not be sold as new!

Just don't make sense.

Some items are not worth buying down south. Cameras are one example where the standards are lower in the States and the Canadian company will not support the warranty. So some things may seem cheaper down there but there my be a reason for it. Other times it makes no sense.

More shiny things!
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.