Electric fan wiring...HELP!!!

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
pitbull-trucker
I'm learning to use 4-hi
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Pathfinder XE
Year: 1995
Tim's: hot apple cider

Electric fan wiring...HELP!!!

Post by pitbull-trucker »

Hey, I've got the Ford 8C607 electric fan that the previous owner put in but with a hack job wiring it in, with parts supplied is there anyone close to me that might be willing to help rewire with proper fuses and relays and switches? I'm about as handy with electrical/wiring as I am with a computer. Thanks!!
Nismojunky
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Nissan Titan
Year: 2006
Tim's: Double cream

Re: Electric fan wiring...HELP!!!

Post by Nismojunky »

i can lend a hand you planning on wiring it to a thermostat or use straight to a switch?
pitbull-trucker
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Well whoever had the truck prior to me did a hellava hillbilly wiring job on it, so to make things easier with trying to figure out what was done, I was planning on rewiring from just above the plug on the fan and re wiring new relays and fuses, I have seen a lot of guys doing it so that it goes on and off with the thermostat, but also have a toggle switch in the cab as well, any ideas on which is better???
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

If you plan do to a lot of water crossings I think the best way would be wire it to a thermostat with a switch in between so you could kill it for water crossings.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
danxe
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: 4Runner Trail Edit.
Year: 2016
Tim's: xl regular

Post by danxe »

We did a really simple install. Removed the entire stock fan assembly, mounted the electric puller fan, power to battery with a fuse, then an on/off tooggle switch with light inside the cab. No thermostat on/off from the e-fan or anything into the condensor. This is not my DD. It's pretty much a manual fan system set-up and there are +/- to this. At the same time we installed a HD transmission cooler / pics to follow. G'luck with the project.
Nismojunky
Make/Model: Nissan Titan
Year: 2006
Tim's: Double cream

Post by Nismojunky »

that put to much of a strain on your battery and alternator you should relay the motor
inblack
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: An MX5 and a CX-5
Year: 05 08
Tim's: Black, can't muck that up

Post by inblack »

when i did mine, I used a fan assy from an old Escape
i relayed the larger diameter fan of the pair (the Escapes had a dual fan set up at the time) it into the Ignition circuit so it was automatic on/off with the motor, and then relayed the second on in to the A/C compressor circiut so that it would come on only when the A/C engaged.

Worked like a charm.
I believe that SImon installed it into "Old Red" after i sold my last X
danxe
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: 4Runner Trail Edit.
Year: 2016
Tim's: xl regular

Post by danxe »

Nismojunky wrote:that put to much of a strain on your battery and alternator you should relay the motor
I'm not sure how relaying the motor would reduce the strain on the alt/battery? It'll be a little playing around and this set-up could turn into a PITA. Finally getting the truck back tomorrow and I'll ask that question. I'm going with a Mean Green alt / optima battery set-up, it's not my DD.
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Frontier CC SC
Year: 2003
Tim's: Large 1 milk

Post by studum »

Putting a relay on the motor doesn't reduce the strain on the Bat / alt - it will see the same load regardless of a relay or not when the motor is turned on. What it does is allow for is more effecient electrical wiring: a shorter circuit with larger cable from the bat to the fan (still needs to be fused) and smaller wire with a smaller switch to trigger the relay vs needing larger cable to run from the batt to a higher capacity switch then back to the fan.
Ryan S. - Playing "keep it alive" with the Silver Spur.
inblack
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: An MX5 and a CX-5
Year: 05 08
Tim's: Black, can't muck that up

Post by inblack »

it will also prevent the switch gear from burning out due to the higher current loads.
Allows for much smaller and less expensive switch gear to be used, and less risk of an electrical meltdown behind the dash.
pitbull-trucker
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Well 3 hours and $70 in parts and we have the fan completely rewired with new fuses and relays and a toggle wired inside the cab to control lo/hi speed or to shut her down/ turn on when needed, what a PITA!!!