parts for timing belt replacement

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
rtw_travel
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2002
Tim's: on diet by order of SWMBO

parts for timing belt replacement

Post by rtw_travel »

So everything worked on the X when I brought it out of storage this year. Given that nothing was broken, and there was no mice damage to fix, I am trying to think of other things I can do instead. We have about 120000km on it, so I guess the timing belt & water pump are obvious choices.

I've read the 'how to' for the timing belt (great new site, btw), and I think I'll tackle it later in August

I have found a parts list here:
http://www.xterraparts.com/Merchant2/me ... B-WD220204" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is that all I need? Is there any better sources of parts, or should I just buy it from there? The nice thing is that they have put it together as a package

The only extra tool I need to buy is the harmonic balancer puller. Are these really 'one size fits all'? I found one at Home Depot for $5.99
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor ... ogId=10051

Thanks in advance
X-Treme
Make/Model: Xterra - Offroad
Year: 2005

Re: parts for timing belt replacement

Post by X-Treme »

Timing belts need to be replaced on a schedule to prevent possible engine damage from their failure.

Water pumps, on the other hand, don't generally fail, the seals eventually leak and that's the only time they generally need to be replaced. If it's not leaking or exhibiting any other obvious fault, like maybe a noisy bearing, the water pump does not need to be replaced.
Watch it! I'm keeping my eye on you.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

I wholeheartedly disagree with Xtreme on not changing the water pump. I did the t-belt on my old truck the first time, and not 15,000kms later, the water pump started to leak. For the amount of time it takes to do (4-6 hours) it's not worth the $100 not to change it. I won't make that mistake again.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Big Bird
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra XE
Year: 2001
Tim's: LG COFFEE 2 SGR

Post by Big Bird »

:stupid: :agree:
I asked for a Jelly donut not a maple!!!
amplifire
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Tim's: med. reg.

Post by amplifire »

I had to hunt down some metric bolts to work with the harmonic balancer puller I got a PA... I think they were M8?? To loosen the nut on the balancer I did the "tap the starter while having a breaker bar on the nut and fixed in place (to the ground or the frame)" trick. Also, there is a little hose coming off the thermostat you might want to replace with the thermostat. I pulled the radiator off so I cleaned that out as well. If you've never done your spark plugs might want to look at them now. Also I got a little white paint pen so I could make marks to make it easier to line up the belt, the marks that are there can be hard to see. I had ordered a water pump from Nissan but forgot to get the gasket, so I didn't change it, I had wanted to though :fist: I think the dealer wanted more than $100 for it, can't remember, but it was expensive.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

It's easy enough to tap those holes out to 1/4-20, as they're only used for the purpose of the harmonic balancer.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
amplifire
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Tim's: med. reg.

Post by amplifire »

lol good point. It was hot out when I did it, that's my excuse...
rtw_travel

Post by rtw_travel »

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the info.
rtw_travel

Post by rtw_travel »

OK... I know, I procrastinate. I finally did this at the cottage this summer, two years after I started this thread. Thanks to Morpheus for giving me the courage to try it.

Some notes:
1) The step by step directions in the How to section, and the manual were both very useful. I printed relevant sections from both.
http://www.cntc.ca/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cntc.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2) Its probably worthwhile having an M6 tap around before you start. The two M6 threads on the crankshaft pulley needed cleaning before I could use them for the hb puller.

3) I used the starter to loosen the crankshaft bolt. Thanks Amplifire for that suggestion. Brace the breaker bar on the drivers side, as it rotates clockwise when viewed from the front. Just a small bump on the starter will do. I tied the breaker bar to one of the frame pieces just so it wouldn't bounce around.

4) the new Nissan water pump I bought did not have the M6 studs on them - it had M6 bolt holes instead. I scavenged two M6 bolts from the fan to use temporarily until I could get in to the shop. Forgive the imperial units, but 3/4" long M6 bolts would do. If anyone needs 4 M6 nuts, I left them outside my garage - help yourself.

5) The yellow marks on the timing belt make this a no-brainer. When you have the yellow marks on the belt lined up with the dimples on the camshaft and crankshaft pulleys, then you know its right: its nice not to have to count ribs on the belt between the pulleys

6) I changed the waterpump, thermostat, t belt tensioner and spring, and all belts, but not the crankshaft or 2 camshaft seals. There was no sign of oil leakage, so I thought it best if I just left them alone. Hopefully that turns out to be a correct decision.

It took a good part of the day - but much of that was me trying to find someone at the cottage with an M6 tap.