Need to lift it

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
titan winch
Lugnut
Lugnut
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: 110 Defender
Year: 1991

Need to lift it

Post by titan winch »

I know everyone says the 265 tyres fit with no lift but i think it reall is not the case.
I am afraid i will need to lift this about 1.5 in front and 1" in the rear
I was really hoping not to have to do this but it seems i do not have a choice. My schedule will be back to normal next week so i can start doing some more work on the Truck
Cheers.
PiDGE
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: not my real name

Re: Need to lift it

Post by PiDGE »

you mean 285?
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies
titan winch
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by titan winch »

No 265
after installing and seeing how close the tyres are to the sheetmetal on full steering Lock it seems there is very little room for articulation . I did not use the Xterra the other weekend for my Winching Course as i preffered to use the Disco so i have still to get it out and see just what the limitations are for wheel travel.
Cheers
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

Well, if you are only going to be lifting 1.5" in the front, and 1" in the back, that's essentially a Poor Man's Lift (PML) which involves nothing more then cranking the Torsion bars up, and replacing with rear shackles with longer ones to provide the lift.

Alternatively to shackles, you can either add a leaf or two in the rear leaf pack, or have the rear leafs re-arched to provide the needed lift to match the front.

I believe shackles would be the cheapest way to do it really.

Search the forum for PML or Poor Man's Lift, there's a bunch of info about it.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Jayman.....he's got a 2nd gen. No t-bars.

Duncan, I was under the impression that the 2nd gen trucks came with 265/75R16 tires stock. I'm not sure why yours wouldn't fit. :shrug:
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

Simon wrote:Jayman.....he's got a 2nd gen. No t-bars.

Duncan, I was under the impression that the 2nd gen trucks came with 265/75R16 tires stock. I'm not sure why yours wouldn't fit. :shrug:
Oh... Duh on my part. :x!

Never mind Duncan, carry on, nothing to see here!
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: SAS Xterra
Year: 2000

Post by sandor »

That's what I thought, didn't 265/75/16's come on the 2nd gen X from the factory?

Regardless, Xtrapol8 just recently put new MT's of that size on his rig (clicky here), and is going wheeling this weekend on Minden Hydroline. Maybe he can chime in after the weekend to report feedback on his tires.
simps19
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Tim's: Large Double/Double

Post by simps19 »

I'm running 265/70/16 BF Goodrich A/T's on my X right now, they don't rub when I lock the steering hard. They do rub if I pull into a driveway a little to fast though.
titan winch
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by titan winch »

Sorry my mistake for some reason i had 265 on my mind it is actually 285 x 75 x 16
Sorry for the confusion and yes the 265 would be a better fit i think .
But on another note i like the matress in the new style tents better than the old style. Seems much firmer with a higher density foam. Not that the old style was uncomfortable but i think this new one will be just that little more relaxing.
I have been playing with Awnings and Tents all day Hence the hijack of my own post.
And some time next week i need to get a snorkel on. Hoping i might have some queit days to get some stuff done next week
Xtrapol8
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Xterra OR M6
Year: 2008
Tim's: Tea & Cookies

Post by Xtrapol8 »

sandor wrote:That's what I thought, didn't 265/75/16's come on the 2nd gen X from the factory?

Regardless, Xtrapol8 just recently put new MT's of that size on his rig (clicky here), and is going wheeling this weekend on Minden Hydroline. Maybe he can chime in after the weekend to report feedback on his tires.
265/75R16 is the standard size on the 2nd Gen Xterra Offroad edition. The SE (Rev's) comes with 17" rims and the others I can't remember. The important thing is that these trucks accomodate 33 inch tires without much work - the plastic fender well has to be heated in a particular spot, displaced slightly and allowed to cool in its new position so that no rubbing occurs on the flat. I believe Rev has reported very minor rubbing on the frame at full crank and no issues with full stuff, but we'll wait for him to confirm that.

As for me, I will report back after Saturday; 265/75R16 doesn't always mean exactly what it is supposed to mean after all. On pavement, there have been no surprises with the Toyos.
Xtrapol8
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Xterra OR M6
Year: 2008
Tim's: Tea & Cookies

Post by Xtrapol8 »

Xtrapol8 wrote:
sandor wrote:That's what I thought, didn't 265/75/16's come on the 2nd gen X from the factory?

265/75R16 is the standard size on the 2nd Gen Xterra Offroad edition. The SE (Rev's) comes with 17" rims and the others I can't remember. The important thing is that these trucks accomodate 33 inch tires without much work - the plastic fender well has to be heated in a particular spot, displaced slightly and allowed to cool in its new position so that no rubbing occurs on the flat. I believe Rev has reported very minor rubbing on the frame at full crank and no issues with full stuff, but we'll wait for him to confirm that.

As for me, I will report back after Saturday; 265/75R16 doesn't always mean exactly what it is supposed to mean after all. On pavement, there have been no surprises with the Toyos.

The new tires were great. Having not had any trouble with the stockers last year, it's difficult to prove anything other than equality. I do think that there were some tougher parts this year, as things had changed slightly, and I did occasioanlly get the idea that more gas would get me out of whatever the situation was... but the most impressive thing was the comments from people running other MTs - there were comments, and they were all good. The electronic nannies kicked in briefly a few times, but I had the tires aired down to only 30psi instead of 20psi as there was some surprise that I had been advised to run them at 55 psi on the highway; I should have had them at 20psi.

The bottom line on the tires is that anything (ie. crap) I could find was going to cost my $200 per tire. For $58 more per tire I got the tires I've been hard about since getting the Xterra. They look great. No one, anywhere, ever has anything absolutely bad to say about Toyo Open Country MTs. They look awesome. More testing to come.
PiDGE
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: not my real name

Post by PiDGE »

well if were both at the next coffe meet your more than welcome to try on my spare 285. Its mounted to a 05+ frontier rim.
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies