Nissan recalls nearly 540,000 vehicles worldwide

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Pezzy
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Ford F150
Year: 2018
Tim's: Steeped Tea, 1/2 Sugar

Nissan recalls nearly 540,000 vehicles worldwide

Post by Pezzy »

TOKYO (AFP) – Japan's Nissan Motor said Wednesday it would recall nearly 540,000 vehicles worldwide, most of them in the United States, due to brake pedal defects and faulty fuel gauges.

Nissan -- Japan's third-largest carmaker, and partnered with France's Renault -- said it plans "to inspect and, if necessary, repair brake pedal pins and fuel-gauge components on certain trucks and minivans".

"No accidents or injuries have been reported with these issues," it added.

The recalls also affect Canada, Mexico, the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia and Taiwan, Nissan North America said in a statement.

The models with faulty brake pedals are the Titan pickup trucks, the Armada and Infiniti QX56 SUVs and Quest minivans built between 2008 and 2010, the company said. Nissan plans to pull 178,916 units from US roads and another 25,869 in other countries to fix the brake pedal pins.

"When the pin loosens, the brake pedal gets wobbly. In the worst case, the brake pedal slips towards the outside and it becomes difficult to operate on the road," said Nissan spokesman Mitsuru Yonekawa.

The company said three customer complaints of brake pedal pins loosening and causing problems with braking had been reported in the United States.

Nissan said it inspected 6,000 vehicles following the first report in December but found no defects.

The fuel gauge defect recall covers the Titan, Armada and Infiniti QX56 built from 2005 to 2008, and the Frontier, Pathfinder and Xterra produced between January and March 2006 and between October 2007 and January 2008.

The problem affects 418,865 US vehicles and 53,253 elsewhere, Nissan said. Related article: Toyota fixing 1.3 million vehicles over oil leak

Both problems occur in some of the 2008 models of the Titan, Armada and Infiniti QX56.

"Vehicles at higher mileage levels may have fuel gauges which incorrectly indicate the amount of fuel in the tank. This may result in the vehicle running out of fuel while the gauge reads greater than empty," a Nissan statement said.

Until their fuel gauges are repaired, customers with affected vehicles are encouraged to maintain a fuel level of at least half a tank, it said.

Nissan blamed the manufacturing errors on its suppliers.

A spokesman said Canada-based KSR International had manufactured the faulty brake pedal pins, while Paris-based Inergy Automotive Systems was responsible for the fuel gauge problem.

Nissan's action follows recalls by the world's largest carmaker, Toyota, whose faulty accelerator and braking systems have been blamed for 52 deaths in the US, prompting its president to apologise before Washington lawmakers.

Honda, Japan's second-biggest carmaker, just three weeks ago recalled more than 400,000 vehicles to fix airbags, saying that they could explode and spray out potentially deadly metal shards.

In January Honda announced a recall of 646,000 vehicles after a fire hazard involving a defective window switch resulted in a death.

Nissan shares were down 0.43 percent to 702 yen at the close in Tokyo trade.
Linky Here
I my PATHFInDERs.
R.I.P. 99.5 Green Machine :cry:
Bender
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Nissan Sentra SER
Year: 2011
Tim's: Mcdonalds coffee

Re: Nissan recalls nearly 540,000 vehicles worldwide

Post by Bender »

Yeah us! We originally were going to have a conference call this afternoon nation wide, but has been bumped to this morning, probably due to the news getting a hold of this info.
Pezzy

Post by Pezzy »

Good times Jay! Be sure to update us on any info you find.
I my PATHFInDERs.
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

Here's the facts that nissan has released during our conference call this AM.

There are 3 recalls

Recall 1 - 2009-2010 Armada Titan, and 08-10 Quest

Potential for the brake piviot pin to come out of place causing reduced braking ability.

Number is incidents in north america - 0 (ZERO)

Recall 2 - 05-10 Titan, Armada

Potential for the fuel guage to read 1/4 to 1/2 tank of fuel but be actually empty

Recall 3 - 06 and 08 frontier xterrra pathfinder

Potential for the fuel guage to read 1/4 to 1/2 tank of fuel but be actually empty

Nissan is stressing that they are being PRO-active for the brake pedal pin, not RE-active as toyota was with thier recalls.

There has been no reports of any accidents or injuries.

The actual numbers may be 500,000 vehicles worldwide, but the numbers for canada released this morning are:

3900 08-10 Titan's
438 08-10 Armada's
1400 08-09 Quests

no numbers were released for the xterra/frontier/pathfinder recall.

I will post more information as I recieve it.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Thanks for keeping us posted, Mike and Jay. :beer:

Not that it affects me, but there's lots of folks interested, I'm sure.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Pezzy

Post by Pezzy »

Mike, do you mind if I post the info you have above on NPORA also?
I my PATHFInDERs.
Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

already done.

Pezzy

Post by Pezzy »

Thanks! (on behalf of the admin on both boards!)
I my PATHFInDERs.
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Thanks for the news tips! Looks like R50 owners are in the clear...
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

"The fuel gauge defect recall covers the Titan, Armada and Infiniti QX56 built from 2005 to 2008, and the Frontier, Pathfinder and Xterra produced between January and March 2006 and between October 2007 and January 2008."

"Recall 2 - 05-10 Titan, Armada

Potential for the fuel gauge to read 1/4 to 1/2 tank of fuel but be actually empty"

Hmm just two weeks ago they told me they couldn't diagnose/troubleshoot this problem...not impressed...it better get fixed
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
Big Bird
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra XE
Year: 2001
Tim's: LG COFFEE 2 SGR

Post by Big Bird »

We actually got our conference call at three o'clock.I was actually waiting for this considering all the Automakers are getting nailed one by one. Toyota and there accelerator pedal recall with there Prius brake recall. Honda having there Air Bag recall. Chrysler having there crash zone corrosion recall. Chevy having rack and pinion recalls on the Cobalt and now us. Whats strange is that we are already doing a bunch of recalls on top of other recalls that are not even involving those vehicles. I guess its gonna get a little bit crazy at work. I will feel sorry for the receptionist at work when shes answering all the calls.
Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

Got more details today about the brake pin on the big trucks.

Looks like during a production run of the brake pedal assemblies the pin that the brake pedal piviots on before the pushrod was not mushroomed at the end after production, it was just left as pressed in.

They don't know which pedal assemblies went in what vin#'s by the looks of it, so they are inspecting every vehicle during those years made.

They expect a 1% replacement rate, so it sounds like they didn't make many of the pedal assy's with the issue, it's just they don't know what vehicles they went in.

07moe
Make/Model: Frontier Nismo
Year: 2007
Tim's: Large, DD

Post by 07moe »

I have an 07 Frontier Nismo, I've been using the my scanguage to tell when i'm about empty as my fuel guage has been all messed up for about 8 months now. I have code P0463 as do many other owners of 2nd Gen Frontiers or X-Terra's. This problem with the fuel sending unit goes WAY beyound what Nissan wants to admit in thier recall. I wish they would fess up and pay to repair all the faulty sending units out there. If only i could do something about it!
Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

07moe wrote:I have an 07 Frontier Nismo, I've been using the my scanguage to tell when i'm about empty as my fuel guage has been all messed up for about 8 months now. I have code P0463 as do many other owners of 2nd Gen Frontiers or X-Terra's. This problem with the fuel sending unit goes WAY beyound what Nissan wants to admit in thier recall. I wish they would fess up and pay to repair all the faulty sending units out there. If only i could do something about it!
Nissan HAS admitted there is a problem with the sending unit, and are awaiting stock on updated parts. They have advised all owners of affected vehicles to make sure to keep your fuel tank above 1/2 tank all the time to prevent running out of fuel.

I don't know what else there would be to admit other than what they already have, and that there is a faulty part, and they are in the middle of re-engineering it, and that they would be contacting customers when the new parts are available. :crazy:

07moe

Post by 07moe »

Morpheus wrote:
07moe wrote:I have an 07 Frontier Nismo, I've been using the my scanguage to tell when i'm about empty as my fuel guage has been all messed up for about 8 months now. I have code P0463 as do many other owners of 2nd Gen Frontiers or X-Terra's. This problem with the fuel sending unit goes WAY beyound what Nissan wants to admit in thier recall. I wish they would fess up and pay to repair all the faulty sending units out there. If only i could do something about it!
Nissan HAS admitted there is a problem with the sending unit, and are awaiting stock on updated parts. They have advised all owners of affected vehicles to make sure to keep your fuel tank above 1/2 tank all the time to prevent running out of fuel.

I don't know what else there would be to admit other than what they already have, and that there is a faulty part, and they are in the middle of re-engineering it, and that they would be contacting customers when the new parts are available. :crazy:

I don't know if you've read the same thing i have but take another look at the affected Frontiers, Pathfinders and Xterra's as seen below.

Pezzy wrote:

The fuel gauge defect recall covers the Titan, Armada and Infiniti QX56 built from 2005 to 2008, and the Frontier, Pathfinder and Xterra produced between January and March 2006 and between October 2007 and January 2008.
So... this means they cover a VERY small portion of the vehicles out there that are really affected by the faulty sending units. Take a look at other forums to get a better idea of how many trucks are actually running around out there with P0463 codes and SES lights on! You might be surprised! This defect really affects trucks from 2005 to 2009 not just the few mentioned. What i'm trying to say here is that i think they need to broaden their recall to include all of these models from 2005 to 2009.

I could be missing something here.... but my 07 Nismo's has a bum sending unit and i don't fall into that category.
Bamboozled
justsoldone
justsoldone
Make/Model: WRX...
Tim's: Needs Baileys.

Post by Bamboozled »

Welcome to the club, 07moe. Usually and nice introduction before a rant will get you further.
07moe

Post by 07moe »

Bamboozled wrote:Welcome to the club, 07moe. Usually and nice introduction before a rant will get you further.

Thank Bamboozled! ...... My name is 07Moe, and i like to rant! :fist:

That that we got that out of the way, do you think this recall will go any further to include more trucks that are actually affected by the problem? I haven't heard of anyone in Canada getting a letter yet either! Just curious to see if i should go out and spent the loot to fix this problem myself or wait and see if Nissan will fess up and fix it?
Bamboozled
justsoldone
justsoldone

Post by Bamboozled »

Have you called your dealer?
07moe

Post by 07moe »

I have and they tell me that my truck is not affected by the recall. I also called Nissan Canada and got the same response. They tell me that my truck doesn't have the problematic fuel sending unit in it and that it's just coincidence that mine is faulty and it's due to normal wear and tear.
Bamboozled
justsoldone
justsoldone

Post by Bamboozled »

Well, I guess until they realize that enough other vehicles have this issue... you're SOL. That being said, none of us can really help you out as of yet, unless you just like to hear bad news.