Optima Batteries

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
northern feller
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra SE
Year: 2007
Tim's: lemon pie, jerkass!

Optima Batteries

Post by northern feller »

I'm reading varying opinions regarding my problem so I am hoping someone here has an answer for me.

I have an Optima Yellow Top deep cycle in my truck. 120 minute reserve, 750-800 CCA (I can't recall, but I know it's within that range). Anyway, left my 4 Hella's on by accident one night (I don't know how because they're freaking bright!) and drained the battery.

1) Can I boost it from another vehicle? I am getting mixed opinions from other sources.
2) Does it have to be trickle charged to bring it back to 100%?

I ask question #2 because I already boosted it once, took it for a 2 hour drive and left it for a couple days to come back to it and find it dead again. The lights were not on this time. Throughout my drive, I kept the truck out of overdrive in order to keep the engine working a little faster and that alty spinning and the belt nice and tight.

Thanks,

Tim
2007 Nissan Xterra SE
Zero Mods
steelcityslicker
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Year: 2000
Tim's: Coffee is good.

Re: Optima Batteries

Post by steelcityslicker »

I don't know if you've already read this brother but it may help. Coincidentally, I was just reading up on yellow tops.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/product_ ... attery.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope this helps.
Dave
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter". - Hemingway
Pezzy
Make/Model: Ford F150
Year: 2018
Tim's: Steeped Tea, 1/2 Sugar

Post by Pezzy »

Hmm... but wouldn't your alternator recharge it? I assume there is no safety like on a charger??

My Yellow Top died like that... I went out in the morning, and it was DEAD. Got a boost, drove around, went to go get tires swapped, parked at the tire place to talk to the guy, 15 mins later, go to move the truck in, and DEAD again. They boost it with a truck, drive it in, had it on a charger the entire time, and then couldn't start it again. (Of course they didn't try boosting it with another truck again... instead the momo's let me sit in the parking lot for 3 hours, waiting for Simon to get off work... I couldnt go anywhere, the windows were left open.) Simon was able to boost it with his truck again, but it never held a charge again.

In it's history, I may have drained the battery 2-3 times.
I my PATHFInDERs.
R.I.P. 99.5 Green Machine :cry:
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

A drained battery should never be charged by running the vehicle. The alternator only provides minimal "top-up" charging for a battery.

A battery that is dead flat need 6-8 hours of low amp charging to bring it up to 100%

running your truck for several hours will just waste fuel, and put excess strain on your alternator.

After a 8 hour charge, the battery should be load tested to ensure it holds a load properly.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Rev
Year: 2008
Tim's: Hot chocolate

Post by Rev »

I did not know that. What if you drive at highway speed for 8 hours?
northern feller
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

I know there is an rpm range in which your alternator will work harder to charge your battery. For instance, if left idling your alternator only provides trace charging. It is much better at highway speeds. For 8 hours, I don't know. I believe in what Morpheus is suggesting. At a certain level the alternator can no longer provide the charge you require to return to 100%.
2007 Nissan Xterra SE
Zero Mods
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: SAS Xterra

Post by sandor »

steelcityslicker wrote:I don't know if you've already read this brother but it may help. Coincidentally, I was just reading up on yellow tops.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/product_ ... attery.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope this helps.
Dave
Good reads...
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Honestly, I haven't had much luck with my yellow tops. I bought 2 for the Mx-3. Since I retired the car, I traded one to my friend, and the other I'm planning on putting on the truck at some point....but I'm skeptical. The one I traded for my buddy, ended up dying and couldn't take a charge. Got it replaced no problem. My other yellow top, same problem, it doesn't want to charge up. I've had horrible luck or issues with those 2. Funny thing is, the only charger that charges is them is my dad's ancient Motormaster charger. I spend good money for a top of the line charger from CT and it doesn't want to charge it, despite it having a Deep Cycle, AGM AND Gel Cell options. My buddy on his, he got a newer charger, the Nascar labelled one from CT, and again, it doesn't want to charge them either. Maybe it's the chargers, but honestly, it shouldn't be...

I will eventually put it in the truck (and i should get it replaced before the 2yr warranty expires), it will only be as a secondary, and a Red Top as a primary (I had great experience with the Red tops). I just feel like if I kill my battery somewhere, I'm screwed.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Feds
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Pathfinder
Year: 1998
Tim's: Black

Post by Feds »

So you guys don't just buy $25 batteries from the scrap yard every 3-4 years?
northern feller
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Feds wrote:So you guys don't just buy $25 batteries from the scrap yard every 3-4 years?

hehe, yes. I have two of those as well in the garage. :teeth:
2007 Nissan Xterra SE
Zero Mods
95 PATH
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Pathfinder LE
Year: 1995
Tim's: Don't drink coffee

Post by 95 PATH »

I know when i had my red top it died on me a few times and when i used my mechanics floor charger on slow trickle it still didn't hold a charge i had to send it back to Interstate and they charged it there and sent it back. The Interstate rep said that they can only handle bring drained a few times till they will no longer hold a charge.
OF4WD# 5915
HotWod
Tim's: Coffee!

Post by HotWod »

Then why the hell are these things so effin expensive?
"I believe Chevy's are like tampons, every pussy has one" - Unknown Wiseman
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Man I've drained my red tops so many times from shows and winter storage that I wasn't surprised at how bad they were at the end. But after 4 years, they replaced them no problem, and I even got a few bucks back since they had to credit me on the old ones and resell the new ones to me, but the tax rate has dropped from 15% to 13%, so I got that difference since they price didn't change.
steelcityslicker

One of these bad boys is on my list for sure. I think I'll wait though until I'm running some things off it like a heavy duty alternator, extra lights, winch, etc. The shortcut I posted earlier is short but i think it answers a lot of the concerns some people have had. Traditional methods of charging a regular car battery just won't work on a deeply discharged Optima type battery. However, the methods they outline in that link for recharging Optima batteries seem very simple.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter". - Hemingway
great dane
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: R50 Pathfinder
Tim's: coffee

Post by great dane »

you need to put it on a slow charge for a long period of time to presserve the Bat life. If you have a prob. with it take it back and use the pro rated warrenty on it! All batteries need to be slow charged to bring them back to life. That being said the Bat will never be as good once it has gone completly dead.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

My Xterra's battery decided to die on me while in for service. Boosted it but it didn't want to hold a charge. I put in my yellow top and it worked great, but it was charging at 17-18v!
HotWod
Tim's: Coffee!

Post by HotWod »

It was charging that high? Alternator reg. could be gone, its cooking your battery if its charging that high.
"I believe Chevy's are like tampons, every pussy has one" - Unknown Wiseman
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Threw in a loaner "almost new" Interstate and it's charging fine
AlexJet
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Toyota 4Runner
Year: 2005
Tim's: French Vanila Capuchino

Post by AlexJet »

Optima Deep Cycle batteries can be fully charged on the charging station. The best use of Optima batteries will be Red Top for Main/Start battery and Yellow Top as a second Accessory battery. Run all your accessories from 2nd battery and this will keep your starting battery anaffected.
I have my OEM battery as a starting (still good, so why to change it) and Yellow Top for accessories such lights, winch, etc. When I turn the key off second one disconnects and accessories don't drain main battery, when the key is on, accessories one is charging. Plus in cold winters as soon as I get the ignition I have juice from 2 batteries to start the truck.
steelcityslicker

Alex, how come I'm not surprised you are running two batteries? Not because you are a Toyota guy but because you have 10 forward facing lights and a winch!!!!! :lol: :thumbup: