Ownership transfer

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Ownership transfer

Post by Adam »

I bought another 95 Pathfinder to fix up in February. I made the stupid mistake of putting the date on the ownership transfer. According to what I found on the net, I can get a fine for not doing it within the 6 days? Does anyone know how much the fine is, or if there is a way around it? I know the PO so if I need to contact him I can.

Thanks!

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Morpheus
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Re: Ownership transfer

Post by Morpheus »

adamzan wrote:I bought another 95 Pathfinder to fix up in February. I made the stupid mistake of putting the date on the ownership transfer. According to what I found on the net, I can get a fine for not doing it within the 6 days? Does anyone know how much the fine is, or if there is a way around it? I know the PO so if I need to contact him I can.

Thanks!
I think that's only enforced if you are actually driving it, and you get stopped.

By law you are allowed to remove your plates from an existing vehicle, and put them on another vehicle and drive it without transferring ownership for 6 days. After those 6 days if you're still driving it under the other person's name, then I think you'd probably get charged with driving an unlicenced vehicle, etc...

If you don't drive it, and are "working" on it, and walk into a licence office in 6 months and transfer the ownership, I don't think they'd say a thing.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 4
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Interesting, I was told the exact opposite Mike - that you are in no way supposed to have plates on a vehicle that are not registered to that vehicle (by an OPP officer). The point being that is what the temporary trip permit is for. I am not saying you are wrong, I have not looked at the statutes in question, just have been told different. It is 6 days before you have to transfer ownership though, agreed.

I agree with the point about walking in 6 months later, the MTO girl behind the counter doesn't care, and I think has no authority to issue fines contrary to the highway traffic act. (They might raise an eyebrow, big deal). I have done weeks after the fact myself.

One thing to note, technically you do not have insurance coverage of any kind - you can not have an insurable interest in something you do not own.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
steelcityslicker
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Year: 2000
Tim's: Coffee is good.

Post by steelcityslicker »

It sounds like Morpheus has nailed it on the head. If you're not driving it then there's no reason for giving you a ticket. The Ministry may have an issue when they see the time discretion but that's cause a lot of them are crusty there (not all!). It's mostly in the best interest of the seller to go in and have his or her name taken off the registration which they can do and should do without you transferring it over to your name. That protects the seller from being responsible for what the new owner does with the vehicle ie; run over a bunch of people or use it as a getaway vehicle for a bank heist :lol: not in anyway saying that you would do that! You're better off getting it done then there's no worries.

I hope this helps.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter". - Hemingway
Adam

Post by Adam »

Thanks guys, that makes a lot more sense now. You explained it better than the MTO website ever could.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
95 PATH
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Pathfinder LE
Year: 1995
Tim's: Don't drink coffee

Post by 95 PATH »

I had this experience once i bought a truck off a guy and whem i did he dated the ownership when i bought it. But by the time i went to switch into my name a few months later, the lay behind the counter wouldn't switch it cause it was dated past the 6 days allowed. So i had to go back to the guy i bought it from and he had to get a new ownership and i had to use that one. When i buy a car now i make sure not to date the ownership till im ready to put into my name.
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 4
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

VERY good idea.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Adam

Post by Adam »

Well I guess that bank robbery I was planning isn't going to happen now. And to think I was going to share it with you guys! :teeth: