Steering box Seal Kits

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
TheZombi
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Frontier CC
Year: 2005
Tim's: Double Double

Steering box Seal Kits

Post by TheZombi »

Recently I helped Nordic Wagon find a bottom seal for his steering box, I also talked to a friend who had a steering box dissasembled who measured up all the seals for me. I've ordered a pile of these bottom seals and am debating ordering the rest as well and making up a kit, I just wish to guage interest in seal kits, or taken a step further a seal kit with replacment bearings, there are 4. Seal kit looks like it will cost out around 25 bucks the bearings and seals togerther would be closer to $100. In the meantime I have a pile of bottom seals comming this week if anyone needs em they're $2.50 Ea. and of a different style with two lips instead of a single and should last longer than the original if you polish the shaft.
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002

Re: Steering box Seal Kits

Post by Jayman »

I suspect that my box is leaking, so I might be interested in this little doodad...

It's not bad, but I've noticed it sweating in the past, so it's always something that I check when I'm under the truck for something.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Sgt_B
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra SE
Year: 2003
Tim's: Grande Bold

Post by Sgt_B »

Jayman wrote:I suspect that my box is leaking, so I might be interested in this little doodad...

It's not bad, but I've noticed it sweating in the past, so it's always something that I check when I'm under the truck for something.
Same here. If memory serves, that's substantially less than the dealership wants to replace the steering pump, so count me in for one kit.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who do not...
'03 Silver X SE, 3SL+2BL, ARB F-Bumper+MM9.5k Winch, BB R-Bumper, Air-dam lights, 32" Procomp MT's, and a retro SOXC sticker on the rear window.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Don't confuse the PS pump with the steering box. Totally different animal. :teeth:
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Sgt_B
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra SE
Year: 2003
Tim's: Grande Bold

Post by Sgt_B »

Simon wrote:Don't confuse the PS pump with the steering box. Totally different animal. :teeth:
Whoops - mis-read the post - thanks Simon. Scratch my support then - gotta take a look at mine first. :x!
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who do not...
'03 Silver X SE, 3SL+2BL, ARB F-Bumper+MM9.5k Winch, BB R-Bumper, Air-dam lights, 32" Procomp MT's, and a retro SOXC sticker on the rear window.
TheZombi

Post by TheZombi »

I'm told a steering box is like a grand and a rebuilt is like 400 and change, Pumps are a different animal, rebuildable yes but it would be extremely hard to get the impellers so you'd only ever risk rebuilding a leaker thats not noisy, if it's noisy you need the guts not the seals. If you have a Quiet leaker and want to take a stab at seals I can prolly get em for ya.
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE

Post by Jayman »

Well, I know that my PS pump is ok, my issue is at the box.

I noticed it liek 2 years ago that it seemed to be wet, but I've kept my eyes on the fulid levels, as well as the box itself, and it doesn't seem to be leaking anymore...

I guess my prayers to the Xterra gods were answered! :worthy:
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Big Bird
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra XE
Year: 2001
Tim's: LG COFFEE 2 SGR

Post by Big Bird »

I am also watching the level knowing that the steering box's do leak after the abuse. My box on the other hand is still okay. I'm guessing its due to the flushes I do. I hope thats it. KNock on wood or metal.
I asked for a Jelly donut not a maple!!!
TheZombi

Post by TheZombi »

actually what kills them is the shaft is unprotected between the seal on the bottom and the pitman shaft, if you are like me and forget to wash the junk out the shaft rusts, eventually that rust creeps under the seal and abrades the seal away. If you wash your truck properly ( which I do not ) you can prevent some of this rust, another thing that works really well to prevent the shaft from rusting is to use is LPS3 rust inhibitor, it's waxy but lubricates as well and will be hard to wash out on the trail, keep that shaft pasted and it will be a long time before you blow out that seal.
Bender
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Nissan Sentra SER
Tim's: Mcdonalds coffee

Post by Bender »

I would take a whole kit Mike! It is just a matter of time before mine goes, I am pushing 170 000 km's right now. I would rather have a $100 seal rebuild kit, then buy the rebuilt or new. ;)

I too have heard it costs over a grand for new as well. :o
X-werks
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2000

Post by X-werks »

Sadly - I would be interested in a kit as well - as I noticed last night - mines leaking again. I am certain it has to do with my blown cetnerlink - which I need to take care of ASAP...

:(
I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Jeez. You just had her rebuilt! Time to talk to Ender about getting that CL rebuilt, pronto!
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
TheZombi

Post by TheZombi »

Alright, I ordered the rest of the seals, should have them in two weeks, they need to make the gasket for the top of the box special. I'll hold off on the bearings for now though as those are a stock item. You'd know if the bearings are shot as you would be able to rock the centre shaft and pitman arm back and forth a few thou.
Big Bird
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra XE
Year: 2001
Tim's: LG COFFEE 2 SGR

Post by Big Bird »

Whats funny is that when you go into the service manual it shows you how to fix the power steering pump internally. Now with the steering box it doesnt, just to adjust the amount of drag off the pitman arm.
I asked for a Jelly donut not a maple!!!
grant
I'm learning to use 4-hi
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra
Tim's: Starbucks!

Post by grant »

I know I'm reviving an old thread here, but are these kits together yet? I have a certain yellow truck here at the shop and the box is pissing. Now if we can just figure out why a straight truck pulls hard to the right :irked:
SlaveX
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Xterra
Tim's: Stupped DD Tea

Post by SlaveX »

Well, I've had to change mine SBox last year before AW (was leaking like hell) and I paid for rebuilt 400 bucks. I tried to change just seals but I couldn't find any kits for '02 and up. Nissan sdealer had kits for '00 - '01 but when I took apart SBox from mine '02 X It turned out that those were different :wtf?: What I figured out at that time was that there are different steering boxes in '00-'01 and '02-'04 models, so my guess is that there should be two different kits for it.
Anyway, I wish I could spent less $$ than I did for that SB having right kit for it. Besides I didn't have to much time to play with it (2 days before AW).That's nice that somebody is thinking about it. Good job TheZombi :thumbup:
John Wayne wrote:
"Life is hard, it's (even) harder if you're stupid."
avacado
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Frontier SE Crew
Year: 2004
Tim's: XL 2x2

Post by avacado »

I too have been plagued with a leaky steering box. I'm keeping my fluid levels topped up, but this is no solution. It would be alot more attractive for me and my wallet just to replace the seals instead of buying a rebuild. Has anyone come across any kits that would fit an 04? I'll continue my search as well.
2004 Frontier SE Crew
32" BFG M/T's
Cobra CB
CanadianX
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra OR
Year: 2006

Post by CanadianX »

Throwing my proverbial hat (power steering pump) into the ring on fails and fixes. I was out playing around in the deep wet snow and notices a bit of a smell. Stopped and couldn't find anything, then I hear the whine and within a few minutes no power steering. Get the X home and see all the fluid has jumped ship so I'm guessing she blew a leak or seized.
steelcityslicker
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Tim's: Coffee is good.

Post by steelcityslicker »

Holy crap, I never noticed this old thread before. Does anyone know if kits are available for 02-04?
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter". - Hemingway