Evans

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Evans

Post by the x kid »

https://www.evanscoolant.com/how-it-works/. What do ya all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Re: Evans

Post by Bow_Tied »

The first thing I read was:
Traditional engine coolant is 50% water, but water causes engine corrosion and overheating.
WTF? Water causes overheating? Water is pretty well the best coolant there is, from a thermal transfer perspective. Perhaps the imply that straight water will be more likely to corrode the rad which in turn causes overheating..... um, ya, but who runs straight water for any length of time? And they just said in their own statement coolant is 50% water - well, ya = because people mix it with coolant!

There may be some scientific minor benefits for reduced surface tension or something but I wouldn't pay extra for it. Stick with OEM specs is what I say.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

Yes but, you would never have to change it ever again.

Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

the x kid wrote:Yes but, you would never have to change it ever again.

If you follow the OE specs, you replace coolant, what, every 60k km? Not many people own a vehicle long enough to add >200k km to the odometer so you are talking about 3, maybe 4 coolant changes in the life of the vehicle. Waterless coolant or not, there will naturally be debris in the coolant system over time from the degradation of gaskets and hoses. The regular maintenance flushes those things out.
Evans Website wrote:Water has superior heat transfer capabilities but water’s low boiling point is close to the operating temperature of an engine, and water can cause corrosion.
Waterless coolants provide sufficient heat transfer, boil at a higher temperature, and are non-corrosive.
Evans is the only manufacturer of waterless antifreeze.

Yes, water boils at only 212°F - but not true in a properly functioning cooling system. A radiator cap with a built-in pressure relief spring allows the coolant system to operate between 10 and 20psi and this raises the boiling point of water or water/coolant mixes. Coolant mixes increase this boiling point a bit higher over water but you can see this marketing point is intentionally misleading.

Again, virtually no one runs straight water in their vehicles an conventional coolants are designed with anti-corrosive additives. However nearly all boats run straight lake water with only a couple of minor differences in engine construction for marine use. So this is another misleading marketing quip.

The telltale here is that Evans is the only one that makes it - if OEMs could reduce warranty and service expenses they'd have higher profit and sales and would be doing this already if it was that good.

Up to you, but I'll skip it. :)
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

Yeah,I’m too old fashioned for this. Move along.