Forum was just upgraded to the latest version of phpBB. If you have any issues please report them to the admins or moderators. Enjoy!

Undercoating? Oil spraying?

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
Rhino
Lugnut
Lugnut
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: XTerra
Year: 2007
Tim's: Hot Chocolate, eclair

Undercoating? Oil spraying?

Post by Rhino »

When I bought my 2007 XTerra in July, the dealer mentioned to me that there was some nearly bare metal showing on the underside of the truck and suggested oil spraying before winter. I've left it a bit late due to an ongoing family emergency but would like to take some action now before winter sets in too much further.

I have never really taken a side in the great debate on whether vehicles should be sprayed or undercoated or treated in some way. When I was first driving, there were a lot of people offering various treatments and all or most of them eventually turned out to be scams: they didn't work and the "guarantees" they provided were just to refund the cost of the treatment but not to fix all the rust damage. I've largely stayed away from any treatments of any kind since then.

Is there any compelling reason for me to start undercoating, spraying or treating my XTerra now? Or is this just one of those things that everyone has an opinion on but no one can offer any solid proof about?
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Re: Undercoating? Oil spraying?

Post by Miner »

I didn't spray my 05 Titan because I liked being able to work on it without being coated in oil and filth.

I didn't keep my 05 Titan as long as I could have, I didn't sell it to board member, and I had to pay to have rust spots fixed because I didn't spray my 05 Titan.

My current truck has been sprayed by the previous owner, which was a shop that did a no drip product. I plan to Crown it going forward.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

Depends how long you want to keep your xterra. Long time,spray it with something. My opinion.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

Get it sprayed if you care about it. And you have to do it every year, otherwise there is no point. If someone tells you they do it every other year, don't listen to what they say anymore.
2002 SE/SC 3" SL 2" BL Calmini Bumper + Winch. Custom Rear bumper. ShrockWorks skid plates.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Rhino
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: XTerra
Year: 2007
Tim's: Hot Chocolate, eclair

Post by Rhino »

Thank you all. I appreciate your replies!
Miner
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

Adam wrote:Get it sprayed if you care about it. And you have to do it every year, otherwise there is no point. If someone tells you they do it every other year, don't listen to what they say anymore.

I know a number of people who alternate years. However none of them keep their vehicles over 10 years. What makes you say that alternating years doesn't work?
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
PhilFrontier
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier
Tim's: Coffee, Choc Chip Muffin

Post by PhilFrontier »

I'm a huge fan of Krown. Spray my 06 Vibe every year. My 13 Frontier will be going in for Krown in May. But then, I get attached to a good vehicle and want to keep it. Somewhere on the internet is a Canadian Army study on rustproofing. Gotta keep our Leopards, LAV IIIs and army trucks rust free. If I find the study I'll add a link.
PhilFrontier
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilFrontier »

Here is at least one of the studies:

http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc53/p526285.pdf
PhilFrontier
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilFrontier »

I know some folks don't want certain areas sprayed and are leery of holes being drilled etc. Others may have had bad luck with a "pro" who misses a lot of spots. Or, have had the misfortune of scheduling an appointment then driving home in the rain, washing the elixir off before it has fully soaked in. If you fall into one or more of these categories, why not get some spray cans and DIY. Unlike a car, crawling under a Nissan truck is possible. A dirty messy job for sure, but possible. Lets see, there is Rust Check [2 kinds, both avail at Canadian Tire], Krown [2 kinds from Home Hardware plus T-40 from Krown dealers and online], Corrosion Free [online and Canadian Tire], and Fluid Film. All in handy spray cans.

A DIY job may not be as good as a really good pro job up on a hoist. But it will be better than a poor job with lots of "oops, missed spots".

Doors can be accessed through door handles, locks, drain holes. Look for rocker panel drain holes. Tailgates and box sides are easy. Same goes around tail lights. Hood is easy as are fenders.

Frames are easy to do but messy. Lots of holes where you can spray the magic elixir in. Spray the outside too.

I will apply a coat of thin stuff, like Krown T-40, let it penetrate, then apply something thick like Corrosion Free or Fluid Film over top a day or two later.

Wear old clothes and goggles. Put down old flattened cardboard boxes to protect your driveway against stains.

These elixirs do work, but only if applied well. They tend to be at their best in boxed in areas that will not see a big flush of water from say driving in heavy rain, but where moisture and salt can find their way in. Lots of those areas on our trucks.

Apply the thicker products in warm weather so they penetrate better. The thinner products can be applied in cool weather.

My first car was a 1976 Ford Gran Torino Wagon. I took it in for RustCheck every fall and every spring I touched up myself with spray cans. I've been a fan of thin annual rustproofing ever since.
PhilFrontier
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilFrontier »

Also for those who say that they work on their truck and don't like getting messy - my mechanic says he'd much rather wash the "grease" created by say Krown mixed with dirt/brake dust/tire dust etc. off his hands then go and spend 9 hours at the ER to get rust particles fished out of his eyes. Having worked on my own vehicles over the years, the mess comes off pretty easy when you wash your hands in dishwashing liquid. Dawn works well for oily waterfowl and it cleans my greasy hands just fine. Also, there are rubber gloves. The blue Nitrile gloves are especially good.
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

I get mine sprayed every fall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bow_Tied
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

I have crowned my wife's rig before, a couple of times. not a great experience. that poop bleeds out of every seam for ever. Cannot use a washmit on her rig without pre-wiping it with a disposable towel as it will ruin the washmit. It's been 3 years since last treatment and I think it's stopped bleeding in most of the areas.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

Bow_Tied wrote:I have crowned my wife's rig before, a couple of times. not a great experience. that poop bleeds out of every seam for ever. Cannot use a washmit on her rig without pre-wiping it with a disposable towel as it will ruin the washmit. It's been 3 years since last treatment and I think it's stopped bleeding in most of the areas.
stop complaining. It’s saving you money.

Bow_Tied
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

the x kid wrote:
Bow_Tied wrote:I have crowned my wife's rig before, a couple of times. not a great experience. that poop bleeds out of every seam for ever. Cannot use a washmit on her rig without pre-wiping it with a disposable towel as it will ruin the washmit. It's been 3 years since last treatment and I think it's stopped bleeding in most of the areas.
stop complaining. It’s saving you money.

the rig still rusted anyway
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member